6 Bad Habits We Should Avoid as College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Going into college, we tend to forget that along with the responsibilities that come with getting a degree, we also have to focus and take care of our mental and physical health in order to do the best we can throughout our college years. So here are some bad habits we should all try to avoid!

1. Lack of sleep isn’t cool. 

Yes, it might sound impressive to pull an all nighter and take an 8 a.m. exam but we forget that lack of sleep is probably not the best thing for your health. According to NHS, one out of three adults suffer from poor sleep. There are so many side effects that come from lack of sleep including, fatigue (obviously) and a poor immune system. Once in a while, it can make or break your grade but it’s not healthy to make it a habit!

2. Be a leader, not a follower. 

Sometimes I notice that people just do something because other people are doing it. Whether it’s good or bad, it’s still important to have a sense of individuality and take action because you want to. Being a follower throughout college may even hinder your path to find yourself. Be confident in the decisions you make, and become a leader for yourself.

3. Stop not drinking water.

Unfortunately, I have a problem with this myself but it’s really important to stay hydrated throughout the day. We get so caught up in all the tasks we need to do, that we forget that coffee, tea or soda aren’t the best type of liquids to be on the entire day.

4. Procrastinating is NOT key. 

As much as we tell ourselves we are not going to procrastinate, let’s be real, that actually never happens. So here are a few things you can do to avoid procrastinating: write your assignments and tasks down where you can see them, set up reminders when to do what throughout your week and if possible, try waking up early so that you can optimize the most you can throughout the day.

5. Overthinking is needless. 

Regardless of where you are in life, competition is everywhere. In a way, competition is healthy because it can help you stay motivated. But too much of it can lead to overthinking any decisions you make. As a college student, overthinking definitely will affect the way you carry on with your academics and extracurricular activities.

6. Stop spending money on outside food.

Since we live in RVA, there are SO many food options everywhere. And as tempting as it sounds to eat out everyday, it’s also not the best idea for your wallet and your diet. We get so immersed into our regular college day, that we don’t realize how much money we actually spend just by eating out. Taking some time out of your day to make a homemade meal will not only save money, but you also feel good about yourself for doing some adult-like things! 

If you can do your best to avoid these bad habits, then you will definitely feel more refreshed and accomplished every week. Good luck!

Image Credits: 1, 2,

Gargi is currently part time editorial team member at Her Campus as a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her hobbies include drawing, blogging and painting. You would most likely catch Gargi eating Panera and binge watching to New Girl or Once Upon A Time. Although she is a biology major, she find writing inspiring and a way to express feelings that she can't say in person. She sees herself working in the Public Health field in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!