5 Ways to Safeguard Yourself from Sickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Fall is finally here, and it’s that time of the year where the weather doesn’t know if it wants to give us fall temperatures or keep us in the summer. Although you can’t become sick from fluctuating temperatures, you always want to safeguard yourself from germs by constantly washing your hands and sanitizing. The most common mistake that people make when they’re sick or have a cold is wanting to stay in bed all day. Let me tell you, you’re going to feel worse. Here are some things to do next time you’re feeling/get sick.

1. Fresh Air

As I previously mentioned, just from experience, sleeping all day is probably the worst thing you can do when you’re sick. Your body needs fresh air, even if you just crack open a window and poke your head out for a couple few minutes. Not only will you be breathing in fresh air, but your room can get fresh air, too. I realized staying in a germy room all day, sleeping on my germy pillowcase was not going to make me feel better one bit.

2. Stretching

Okay ladies and gentleman I cannot stress this enough — STRETCH. I know you’re maybe thinking “I hate stretching,” but doing this reduces muscle soreness. Personally, when I feel ill I’ll do a toe touch or stretch my arms above my head. 

3. Not being naive

PSA: when you feel your throat closing up/becoming sore and your nose becoming stuffy, please safeguard yourself and take some medicine. Do not be like me and wait until you feel sick as hell to want to take medicine, because you will have to take a trip to patient first like I did.

4. Eat lightly

Lastly, eating your favorite foods like pizza, burgers, fries and wings is a no go ladies and gentleman. Foods such as soup, oatmeal, ramen and ice cream are easy and light foods for your stomach. Even if you don’t have an appetite, you still need to eat.                                                       

Although I’m no Dr. Oz, these simple times are guaranteed to help you during those sick times. Don’t forget to keep hand sanitizer in your backpack!

Kelsey is a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is studying mass communications with a concentration in broadcast journalism. When she is not involved with school, she likes to catch up on her reality shows and stuff her face with Snicker bars.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!