5 Stages of Breaking Your Phone Charger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s happened to all of us. One day everything is fine; you have a fully charged phone and you’re comforted by the fact that if it begins to die, your perfectly intact charger will come to the rescue. Then one day it starts to fail and the little red bar within the battery symbol becomes a part of your everyday life. You can try your best to bring it back to life with tape or other methods but this is only the beginning; the end is near.

1. Realization

One morning you wake up under the impression that your charger has been fulfilling its duties and making sure that your phone is ready to take on the day with you. Then you come to realize that it hasn’t been working all night and that 20 percent notification pops up. You’ll frantically try to get it to charge for as long as it possibly can but your efforts will always come up short. The death of your beloved charger is inevitable.

2. The Sweet Spot

After much trial and error, you’ll find that sweet spot where you can place your phone just right so that it charges. The hardest part though is that you can’t move, you can’t even look at your phone or else it’ll lose the sweet spot and you’ll have to start all over again.

3. Borrowing

Going to your friends for their spare chargers or chargers that aren’t currently in use becomes the only method of keeping your phone alive. They’ll hear the desperation in your voice and come to your rescue but only for a short period of time and only when its convenient for them.

4. No Phone

There will come a time that your phone drops to 1 percent and you won’t be able to find a charger in time. You’ll go back to the charger that’s on its very last leg and try your hardest to make it work, but it won’t. You’ve reached the end.

5. Replacement

As much as you won’t want to admit it, your charger is at the point of no return and you’ll have to reach into the depths of your bank account to scrounge up enough money to replace your once trusty little charger. You’ll throw the old one away with disappointment but now it’s time to give another one a chance with hopes that this one will have a longer lifespan than the last.  

photo credit: thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Katie is a freshman at VCU studying mass communications with a concentration in journalism. She loves attending concerts, James Franco's instagram selfies, quoting Will Ferrell movies, and her two dogs Laila and Frazier. You can follow her on twitter and instagram @katiebashista. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!