This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

April’s daily tug of war between summery weather and dark cloudy days already has me daydreaming of summer. A windowsill garden is an easy way to bring a bit of spring right to your bedroom. Each garden only requires a well-lit window, a few pots, soil and, of course, your plants! Beginners can try buying plants from your local garden center to bring home or start with seeds for a challenge. A variety of common plants are surprisingly low maintenance, from flowers to vegetables. 

Basil 

Basil is one of the easiest herbs to grow indoors, perfect to have on hand for pesto or pasta. Basil requires around six hours of light a day, which can be a combination of natural and fluorescent lighting if needed. The only maintenance is that this herb does require adequate drainage because soggy roots can lead to rot. Natural fertilizer is recommended for basil being used for cooking to avoid any unnecessary chemicals. 

Green Onions

Green onions are a great addition to any dish, from stir fry to salads. The plant can be grown in soil and water. Like basil, six hours of light is recommended. Any less than that will stunt the growth of the onion but not harm the plant. The plant can actually be regrown by reusing the white end of the onion. Simply placing it in soil or water will result in another full onion developing in about two weeks!

Succulents

If you are a first-time plant mom, this is the perfect choice for you. There are over 10,000 known species of succulents, so you can never get bored with this option. They are also extremely popular due to their need for little watering and love for lots of sun. Succulents are best watered directly at the soil and do not require another watering until the soil is dry. Architectural Digest recommends rotating them often to make sure each side of the plant gets enough light.

Geraniums

Geraniums are a gorgeous flower to add to your indoor garden. There are many kinds of the plant, including the common floral zonal geranium, ivy leaf geranium and scented geranium. They require some patience as they need a certain kind of soil and six to eight hours of sunlight. According to Gardening Known How, a soilless, well-drained potting mix is recommended. These plants also like to be pot-bound, so they don’t require repotting often. 

African Violets 

African Violets are another indoor-friendly flower that comes in blue, purple and white varieties. Virginia’s humid climate is great for the plant as they are native to the warm jungles of Africa.

The only downside is that the plants are sensitive to too much water, but this can be avoided by watering from the bottom. The Old Farmer’s Almanac advises using well-draining soil that is kept slightly moist. Unlike some other plants, this pick is also non-toxic to animals, making it pet-friendly to have around the home.

Taya Coates is a senior studying fashion merchandising and minoring in journalism. She hopes to pursue a career as a fashion editor and eventually start her own publication. She is passionate about covering stories on style, social activism, and culture.
VCU Contributor Account