Style > Beauty

5 DIY Masks to Help You De-stress During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As we all know, the last few weeks of a semester tend to be the most difficult. This is especially true this semester, with the sudden switch to online classes and stress associated with the transition. Although it is important even in general to de-stress, it is especially important to find ways to unwind during finals week so that the pressure of exams and term papers don’t overwhelm us into underperforming.

Chandler Long Day
Giphy

On that note, here are a few of my favorite DIY masks to combat stress and promote relaxation during finals! 

Cucumber & Aloe Vera Face Mask

Ingredients: 

1 tablespoon cucumber (crushed)

1 tablespoon aloe vera gel 

The first ingredient that comes to mind when I think of relaxing is cucumbers! Cucumbers are full of vitamin C and caffeic acid, which helps to cleanse and clarify skin. Also, due to the high water content of cucumbers, they are excellent for hydrating, brightening and softening skin! Similarly, aloe vera is full of antioxidants, vitamins A and C, and enzymes that work to soothe and moisturize skin. The gentle nature of this face mask means that it can be used on all skin types whether you have sensitive skin, dry skin or even oily skin! 

Yogurt, Honey & Turmeric Face Mask

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon yogurt 

1 tablespoon honey

½ tablespoon turmeric powder

This face mask is most effective for oily and acne-prone skin, but the cooling properties of yogurt make this a perfect face mask for reducing oiliness and breakouts that tend to happen the most during finals week! The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of honey and turmeric combined with the lactic acid found in yogurt makes this the perfect mask to tone, exfoliate and keep acne under control! 

Avocado, Honey & Oats Face Mask

Ingredients:

¼ ripe avocado (mashed)

½ tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon ground oats  

If you have dry skin, then this is the mask for you! The natural oils and antioxidants found in avocado make it the perfect ingredient to hydrate and nourish your skin from within! The ground oats act as a mild exfoliant, while the honey clarifies and heals your skin! The combination of all these ingredients will definitely leave your skin feeling soft and moisturized! 

Papaya, Honey & Egg White Face Mask

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon papaya juice

½ tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon egg white (beaten)

This next face mask is perfect for brightening and tightening dull skin! Usually, by the end of the semester, we’ve gone through so much stress that we need a little pick me up, and this mask is perfect for that! Papaya is renowned in the beauty industry for being full of healing enzymes known to make skin more radiant and youthful. Egg whites are full of proteins used to tighten and shrink pores. The combination of papaya, egg whites and honey will ensure your skin says soft and supple while also bringing a healthy, radiant glow to your face! 

Sugar, Honey & Coconut Oil Body Scrub

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons sugar 

1 tablespoon honey

2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)

Scrub away all your worries with this amazing body scrub! Sugar is a wonderful physical exfoliant to remove dead skin cells and rejuvenate skin from within. Coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E and healthy fats which work to moisturize and hydrate skin. It also has antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties which will soothe skin. Body scrubs are incredible to use because they help to promote circulation, and will leave you feeling relaxed and renewed. A bonus is that this scrub can also be used as a lip scrub to leave your lips feeling plump and hydrated! 

I hope these DIY masks help you all de-stress and relax amidst the stressful nature of finals week!

Rishitha is a senior at VCU majoring in Bioinformatics, while on the pre-medical track. When she isn't in classes, she loves to binge-watch sitcoms, cook, bake, and spend time with her friends and family! In her future, she hopes to become a physician and make meaningful impacts on patients' lives!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!