Wellness

4 Healthy Habits to Adopt This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s a new year, a new semester and a perfect time to add some new healthy habits to your lifestyle! Whether it’s your physical, mental or overall health, it is important for you to keep them in check. 

Drink More Water

It is so crucial to drink enough water. According to Healthline.com, on average we should be drinking eight 8 oz. glasses of water each day. That’s just filling up your 32 oz. Hydro Flask twice, which is pretty easy to remember. Water helps with your digestive system, skincare and is essential to keep your kidneys functioning properly. If you don’t like water, Mio makes an array of water enhancers that are low in calories but high in flavor! They also make some with coffee and caffeine to help you through that mid-day slump. You could also add more water-rich foods to your diet like watermelon, skim-milk and cucumbers. Basically, consume more water!

Establish an Eating Routine

In addition to water, food is also important (imagine that). Ideally, we should all eat a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner at reasonable times, Unfortunately, we are in college and that is virtually impossible. Personally, I grab a protein shake or granola bar before my first class just to keep my stomach from growling. It also helps me feel more energized and focused. I then eat lunch between 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. Lunch is smaller and quick; normally I have cheese and crackers. Finally, dinner, which can be dreadful if you haven’t planned it. I try to plan dinner early in the day so that it is less stressful later and also to prevent getting hangry. I eat around 6 p.m. every day. You don’t have to have the same plan as me, but having some sort of schedule makes meals less stressful and helps keep your body regulated.

Use a Planner

My planner truly changed my life. I was the kind of person who wrote everything on my hands or on scrap paper until I discovered planners. When you write down your assignments, homework and goals in one place, it makes it easier to keep track of how you are doing. It is also a great place to write down all of your due dates as soon as you get your syllabus so you aren’t surprised when something is due. Overall a planner is really helpful when it comes to keeping track of your life (and your water intake, hint hint).

Most Importantly, Be Happy!

Honestly, this can be the most challenging habit to start, but it is doable. If a group of friends, a club or an unnecessary task is bringing you down or holding you back from happiness, let it go! You deserve to be happy and to enjoy college life. It’s normal to go through a rough season in your life, but if you find that you are stuck in a dark cloud, don’t be afraid to ask for help! Most college campuses, like VCU, have free resources to help with mental health. Happiness should always be a goal!

Kristen is a senior with a major in Elementary School Education. She loves to read, camp, and hang out with her two dogs and awesome husband.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!