This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Everybody daydreams about traveling the globe and experiencing everything the world as to offer. But, for most people, travel can seem quite unrealistic given that young people wanting to travel are putting their money towards school. While study abroad programs can help students earn credit while studying another culture, some don’t want their experiences overseas to involve school. On the other hand, it can be hard to find the time or money to travel, especially if you’re a full-time student. Traveling is also often seen as necessary for a young person’s cultural experience, but this perspective is exclusive to those who can afford to travel and pursue education. The stigma around traveling is this: not every destination has to be a glamorous plane trip or train ride away; it can be an hour away in a part of your state you’ve never been before. Here are some travel destinations in Virginia that cost little to no money, that also satisfy the need to adventure.

1. Foamhenge

Foamhenge was built in 2004 as an April Fool’s prank to attract tourism to Natural Bridge in Centreville, Virginia. If you can’t afford to travel to see the real thing right now, Foamhenge is a replica close to home and free to see. Natural Bridge is also a site in an of itself, and making a day out of visiting both is a cheap, worthwhile adventure

2. Panther Falls

Panther Falls is a waterfall and swimming hole east of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It’s a two-and-a-half-hour drive from Richmond, but it’s easy to park at and access from a trail. Plus, it features multiple waterfalls, swimming areas and cliffs to recreationally jump off of.

3. Goshen Pass

Goshen Pass is one of the most geographically beautiful and historically haunted areas in Virginia. The actual river is accessible to rafters, kayakers, tubers, fishers and hikers. It is located 10 miles north of Lexington, Virginia in Rockbridge county.

4. Swannanoa Mansion

Constructed in 1912, the Italian-inspired villa was meant to be used as the summer home of Richmond-born millionaire James H. Dooley. Now, Swannanoa is one of the most visited and reportedly haunted places along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Valley. Swannanoa Mansion is a frequented spot by paranormal enthusiasts, as well as locals looking to watch the sunset or photograph the aging ruins of the sinister grounds.

If you are looking to take a day trip and get away from your area, go visit one of these amazing places! These are all a short drive away and you don’t have to leave good ole’ Virginia. Fulfill at least some of your wanderlust!

Photo Credits: Cover Image, 1, 2, 3, 4

Taylor is a junior at VCU majoring in English and caffeinated beverages. She likes reading books and writing short fiction as well as marathoning terrible reality television shows.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!