flat lay of makeup
flat lay of makeup
Emily Nelissen
Style > Beauty

3 Things You Need To Know Before Getting Lash Extensions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Lash extensions have steadily been gaining popularity over the past few years. Many people around the world have chosen to get them to enhance their appearance, but there are still those that aren’t familiar with how the whole process of getting and taking care of lash extensions. They aren’t completely sure how to properly care for their eyelashes, they aren’t fully aware of the potential health risks that could potentially come along with them and they don’t realize how expensive lash maintenance can be. Here are three things that everyone should know before getting lash extensions to make sure they have the best experience possible!

Getting Lash Extensions Can Be Expensive

Getting Lash extensions can seem like a phenomenal idea until you look at the price, that is. You see all these people around you wearing lash extensions so you start to think that it can’t be that expensive if so many people have them, but it definitely is still a bit pricey. Most lash technicians charge over $100 to put lash extensions on a client and seeing as you have to get them filled every month- that can easily be a few hundred every month just devoted to your eyelashes. It is definitely a financial commitment, to say the least, but some people can afford to get them done.

There are lash technicians that are willing to do your lashes for less money, but you should be aware that they typically price their service based on quality. A technician with cheaper prices may be less experienced, so you may end up not having the end result that you were expecting. Just remember—you get what you pay for. Most technicians do have specials or certain packages that can save you some money though so keep your eye out for those if you don’t want to break the bank.

Caring For Your Lashes May Take Some Work

It’s important that you know that lash extensions require some maintenance. You will have to shift your routine once you have them to ensure that you properly care for them. You should clean them every day with a lash spoolie that has oil-free soap and water on it. This will keep your lashes from getting clumpy and will clean any dirt that has accumulated on them during the day off. If you don’t properly clean your extensions, then your lashes will fall off more quickly. Natural oil build-up or using oil-based products on your eye will break the bond of the lash glue and cause the extension to detach from your natural lash.

You should also make sure that you sleep on your back or avoid sleeping directly on your eyes to ensure that your lashes don’t get too much pressure put on them. If they do, you could see more lash loss than normal. You should also avoid getting any water directly on your lashes besides when you are cleaning them, which will also cause your lashes to fall out more quickly. Other than those things, you can pretty much go about your routine as you normally would. 

There Are Some Potential Risks Associated With Getting Extensions

Lash extensions, like anything else, can have its downfalls. You could potentially lose some of your lashes or lose some of your lash length because of the lash extensions. Many people find that after having their extensions removed that their lashes are a bit stubby, or that their lashes aren’t growing in the same areas that they were before. This is to be expected for most people, but after a few weeks, your lashes will typically grow back and look relatively the same as they did pre-extensions.

You could also accidentally have a lash extension fall in your eye and get stuck in it. As someone who this has happened to I can tell you, the pain you get if this happens is excruciating. You may experience pain so intense that you don’t even want to open your eyes. This ideally will not result in any eye-related health issues, but it still will be painful. If you don’t properly clean your lashes you could also potentially develop an eye infection or lice.

Hopefully, all this information will help you make an informed decision about whether or not lash extensions will work for you! 

Britney Simmons is a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University who is majoring in Mass Communications with a Concentration in Print/Online Journalism. She has loved reading and writing since she was a child, and is an animal lover. She loves to travel whenever possible, and you can usually find her binging some new series or napping.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!