This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Fall is my favorite season for many reasons. One of the outstanding attributes of fall I enjoy is everything pumpkin. The pumpkin flavor, spice, theme and color wonderfully add to the autumnal experience. I have listed below a few things pumpkin-related to add to your Halloween or fall bucket list. 

Enjoy Pumpkins

You know it is fall when everything pumpkin spice-themed is put out on store shelves. Pumpkin spice, while it does not actually have any pumpkin in it, is a great addition to Starbucks’ and Dunkin Donuts’ drink menus. Many places also include real pumpkins in their products which are fun to try. Pumpkin is a gourd, so you are able to cook and bake with it too. There are many savory recipes such as chili, pasta or soup you can add pumpkin to to enhance and make them autumnal. I especially enjoy baking with pumpkin this time of year. In addition to pumpkin pie, there are great pumpkin bread, muffin, cookie, etc., recipes out there to try. Another way to enjoy pumpkins is as a stress reliever. It is satisfying to watch them explode when thrown at walls or the ground. School and life are hard and if you need a healthy, festive outlet, smash a pumpkin for fun. 

Decorate them

Probably the most simple thing you can do with a pumpkin is to use an actual pumpkin to decorate. You can find just about anything you use on a day-to-day basis with pumpkins on it. This includes dish towels, blankets, pillows, doormats, etc. It is easy to make your space look cute and festive by buying a few mini pumpkins from the store and scattering them around. Go a step further and draw or paint on your pumpkin to make them more personal. One of the most fun fall activities, in my opinion, is carving pumpkins. This year I carved a spooky cat into my pumpkin. When you’re done with the carving, you get to put a candle in it, admire your hard work and enjoy some roasted pumpkin seeds. Some people even carve their pumpkins to wear on their head.

wear pumpkin

You can literally wear a pumpkin on your head; taking photos with a carved pumpkin on your head has become quite the trend this year. You can wear pumpkin by incorporating the color orange into your wardrobe this season. You can wear orange any time of year, but during fall, it is a great look. I have seen some cute outfits already this year with people wearing orange sweaters, pants, t-shirts, etc. Socks, bracelets or other accessories with pumpkins on them can be cute too. Probably my favorite accessory would be pumpkin earrings, though. Etsy has plenty of handmade pumpkin earrings—this shop has super cute polymer clay pumpkin earrings that would spice up any outfit. Adding subtle pops of orange or pumpkin-themed accessories can show off your fun, fashionable side for fall.

Try out some new fall pumpkin drinks, recipes, decorations, activities, outfits or accessories this year and have a happy Halloween! 

Maddie Quigley is a political science major with a minor in media studies. She is a vegetarian, plant-lover, avid reader and she enjoys talking politics.