10 Tips on Dealing with Stress in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

College can be a very stressful time. In fact, according to the ADAA, 80 percent of college students say they frequently or sometimes experience daily stress. Here are 10 tips on how to deal with stress in college.

1. Remember to breathe. Deep breathing is one of the best and more simple ways to lower stress in the body. When you breathe deeply, it sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax. Also, try using calm.com for guided meditation.

2. Don’t overload yourself. It’s easy to feel like you have to do everything when you’re in college, but that’s not the case. Remember that it’s okay to say no, and you aren’t a failure or wrong for not putting too much on your plate.

3. Find what time management skills work for you. Some people are only productive at 4 a.m. and others are super productive during lunchtime. Whether it’s writing down what you need to do on a checklist or doing smaller tasks first, learn what best works for you and implement these methods in your daily life.

4. Know it’s okay to ask for help. This is a big one. Please remember that there are many people in your corner that are willing to help you, but you have to meet them halfway and help yourself too. Remember that you are not admitting defeat by asking for help.

5. Stay away from people that make you feel like you’re hard to love. This is another big one. College is already a stressful time, and being with toxic people can make it even harder. You deserve to have people that make you happy and you deserve to get rid of anyone that doesn’t.

6. Eat well balanced meals. In college, it’s so easy to get carried away by all of the food choices and end up ordering pizza at 1 a.m. every night. But remember that your body needs to be taken care of. Trust me when I say ordering a smoothie and salad will make you feel so much better than ordering a soda and a burger (but don’t forget that it is okay to treat yourself!). Everything is good in moderation.

7. Work out. Another good tip that is just so hard to follow up on, but working out really can help alleviate stress. As Elle Woods once said: 

8. Limit your caffeine intake. As hard as it sounds, caffeine can induce anxiety and when you start to withdraw from drinking caffeine, you’ll feel anxiety too. Try drinking teas or other calming juices for a pick me up!

9. Write down your troubles. I mean it. Take 10 minutes out of your day and just sit in front of a computer or take out a notebook and write. Write anything, whether it’s about your day or something you’re looking forward to, the current crush you have, poetry, even doodle if you want. Just writing out your frustrations will make you feel so much better.

10. Remember that you are doing your best. I mean it. College is a very hard time and we should all be given awards for simply making it through the day. But you will make it through, and you’ll look back on these stressful years and laugh, I promise you.

No matter what, please be kind to yourself. You deserve all that is good in the world and I hope you never forget it. Go out there and change the world, collegiettes! 

Salinna Lor is a freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's addicted to coffee, frozen yogurt, vloggers, Kate Spade, and writing. You can catch her on Instagram or Twitter (@salinnalor)
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!