10 Times I Found Myself “Adult-ing” in College.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

We all leave home for college in hopes of a fresh start, new friends and a whole new venture in life, but what we don’t account for are the daily adult responsibilities like…..

1.     Doing laundry.

Man oh man, how I miss my mother sorting my clothes and throwing them in the wash every two weeks. I also miss her folding my clothes so that when I come home I have my favorite outfit just laying there, ready to wear the next day.  

2.     Setting an Alarm.

Waking myself up on time was never an easy feat back in the day, and I use to hate when my mom would abruptly prance into my room at 5 a.m. and tap me on the shoulders for school. Now that my human alarm clock isn’t close by, I have to set my own real alarm, and ensure I make it to every obligation on time.

3.     Cooking.

Okay, okay, the word cooking wasn’t a part of my vocabulary my freshman year of college because I didn’t cook. I just reheated overly processed food, but now I make healthy fresh meals since I don’t have a meal plan anymore.

4.    Paying Bills.

I’m now responsible for paying my own phone bill, dental bill, electric and water bills on time. Of course there are times when I miss taking showers that last longer than 10 minute or using electricity more freely, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do in order to cut costs and pay bills on time.

5.     Scheduling Appointments.

I’ve begun to take care of myself like a real adult, and I no longer ignore my coughing or sneezing. I no longer feel the need to call my mom for input on what’s happening to my body when I’ve come down with a case of the flu. Instead in an adult like manner, I take medicine and hope for the best. I also no longer have to rely on forged sick notes signed by my friends.

6.     Cleaning.

It’s now my responsibility to vacuum, sweep and disinfect just about everything, just like my mom does back home. I’ve also become quite the expert at how to use a “Swiffer Sweeper Picker Upper.”     

7.     Picking Appropriate Clothing.

As a soon to be business women in corporate America I have mastered the art of choosing the perfect interview attire, and this is a skill that I can continue to use throughout my adult life.  

8.      Time Management Skills.  

I now have to take the initiative to get things done and in timely manner. After I come home from my long day of classes, I head straight to my kitchen counter or any remotely clean surface and get to work.

9.     Setting a Curfew.

Call me a grandma, a party pooper or whatever you want, but at least I know when it’s time for me to go home and have a good night’s rest.

10. Creating To-Do List.

I use to dread the various long  To-Do Lists my parents wrote for me. Now, I find myself writing my own lists and leaving them everywhere (this is especially useful for my busy bee’s out there).  

Saiounia is a 20 year old Broadcast Journalism major studying at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her name is pronounced (Say-oh-knee-uhh). She is originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Saiounia is a food junkie and loves adventure. In her spare time she can be found at local food festivals and family owned coffee shops.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!