10 Signs College Has Made You Perpetually Tired

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Ever since you started college you’ve been noticing you get tired easily, and who wouldn’t be with managing classes, tests, homework, projects, extracurricular activities and a social life? You don’t remember being this tired and addicted to coffee in high school. College has made you perpetually tired and you’re probably yawning while reading this. Here’s 10 signs that college has made you perpetually tired:

1. Your response to “How are you?” is “Tired.”

Even if you got a full seven or nine hours of sleep, you’ll still be tired. Tired is basically part of your personality description now.

2. You yawn a lot

You yawn more than you probably should, you can’t help it. You make others yawn, too since yawning is contagious and you do it all the time.

3. You always try to find time for a nap

Naps help you get through the day while you’re feeling tired. Any nap less than 30 minutes is a tease to you, you like your naps to be in the hours’ range. After your homework, class or studying your reward for yourself is always a nice nap.

4. Your bed is your favorite place

Your bed is where you sleep, do your homework, study and watch Netflix. Your bed is comforting to you and can always make you feel at home.

5. You can sleep through almost anything

Alarms, noisy neighbors or roommates, sirens, bad storms and any other loud noises don’t mess with your sleep. Once you’re asleep you stay asleep, which can be a good and bad thing.

6. You’re not a morning person by any means

You hate waking up in the morning from your peaceful slumber. All you want to do is crawl under the covers and hide from the sun like a vampire.

7. You need more than one cup of coffee

One cup won’t cut it for you anymore, it may as well be water. You need two or three cups of coffee to really keep you going throughout your day.

8. You can sleep just about anywhere

If you close your eyes for a few minutes, you’ll probably be able to fall asleep anywhere. At the library, in class or a meeting, the inside of your eyelids are calling to you at all times.

9. Sleeping in is your favorite thing

Getting up early for your class, internship or work during the week is the worst. You cherish being able to sleep in as late as you want to during the weekend. Weekends are for catching up on precious sleep.

10. There is no such thing as too much sleep

You might’ve slept 10 hours last night, but you’ll still want a nap later. Some people ask why you’re tired if you slept so good and you respond with “I’m a college student.”

Being a college student is physically and mentally exhausting, it has made you cherish sleep and now you always have that “tired” feeling. You wish you could take back all those times you didn’t nap as a kid, cause now naps are your favorite thing. Try to stay awake for important things and catch those z’s when you can.

Ashley is a Senior at Virginia Commmonwealth University majoring in mass communications concentrating in print & online journalism. She is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at VCU and a member of the Society of Professional Journalists at VCU. She is an avid coffee drinker, dog lover and dreamer. She hopes to one day be a reporter for a newspaper, magazine, or an online version of the two.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!