10 Female Artists That Break Musical Boundaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The music industry is a business that is directly related to culture, and in turn, shaping society as a whole. Women in the industry have particularly strengthened the way we view the world through the embracement of female empowerment, sexuality, and experimental growth. Recently, women in music began to break the boundaries of what was expected from a typical female vocalist. We live in a lyrically vibrant world of estrogen-fueled artists that aren’t afraid to create art that is equally beautiful and inspiring. Although most mainstream artists definitely deserve the spotlight they’re in, I wanted to shed light on some upcoming female artists that not everyone may have heard about, because they’re pretty awesome, too. Here are 10 female artists that are breaking the glass ceiling in the music industry.

1. Jorja Smith

Jorja Smith is an English singer-songwriter that is largely associated with her soulful vocals. Her music reflects a variety of topics including love, self identity and even political issues. Her single “Blue Lights” in particular, is a track focusing on the concept of guilt, particularly instilled in African Americans, even when they have done nothing wrong. Her ability to focus on subject matter that most artists are afraid to speak on, proves her to be a boundary-breaking artist.

2. Kali Uchis

Kali Uchis has made quite a name for herself the past few years. What makes her stand out among others is her unique blend of genres, combining techno with indie pop and R&B. Her voice is soft and soothing, and when paired with her specific instrumentals and her Colombian pride, Uchis will undoubtedly catch anyone’s attention.

3. Willow Smith

I’m sure we all know “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” actor Will Smith, his daughter Willow is no exception to the family’s talent. Willow, only 17-years-old, has proven herself to the industry through her work ethic, with dropping several projects and songs despite her young age. Her sound contains a twist to alternative R&B and her voice only compliments the instrumentals.

4. Wet

Wet is an indie-soul musical trio featuring lead singer Kelly Zutrau who definitely steals the spotlight. Zutrau’s ambient voice over Wet’s iconic airy-alternative production emphasizes her beautiful voice even more, if possible. The track “Don’t Wanna Be Your Girl,” is especially noteworthy in its lyricism. It talks about a girl realizing her worth and leaving a bad relationship, an uplifting concept that promotes female self worth.

5. 070 Shake

070 Shake is a female rapper discovered through her Soundcloud. Based on the first listen, many may assume Shake is actually male, due to her deep set vocals. Her being female doesn’t lessen the greatness of her music, though. Shake is an artist constantly pushing forward through her sing-rap vocals and the complexity of her unique sound. How exactly does she break musical boundaries? Shake completely shatters the stereotype of what female artists are “supposed” to sound like and I’m all here for that.

6. Grimes

Grimes is another artist that destroys the concept of genre within the music industry. Well known for her do-it-all character, Grimes produces her own music, sings and designs her own album art as well. She breaks the stereotype of female artists needing men to fully complete their musical projects. If that alone doesn’t impress you, Grimes’ music in itself is a transformational experience that includes electronic pop influences that combine sonically with her anime-pitched voice.

7. Princess Nokia

Princess Nokia is a New York-based rapper that isn’t afraid to use her words for social change. Her confidence is apparent and through the roof, inspiring many others to mimic her style. Her song “Tomboy” alone breaks barriers of expectations on women with lyrics embracing her small breasts and “fat belly.” Her ability to promote body positivity through her music is a huge reason for going to check this artist out.

8. Maggie Rogers

Maggie Rogers was discovered by Pharrell Williams through an NYU music production class. A video of Pharrell complimenting Maggie on her song “Alaska” went viral, which lead to her becoming a national sensation, and for good reason. Her soft indie vocals fused with her signature indie dance instrumentals, creates a psychedelic experience for listeners. Her story of discovery alone is also key in breaking musical barriers, because it shows how anyone who works hard can achieve their dreams.

9. Jhene Aiko

Jhene Aiko is best known for her features on multiple hip hop songs with artists such as Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Big Sean. Her latest album “Penny,” is an ambient sounding project that seems to blend into a dreamy experience. Although not a new artist, Aiko’s music isn’t shy in talking subject matter that includes sex, drugs and spiritual consciousness. Now, these topics aren’t exclusive to males, but the fact that Aiko is so open with it, she’s able to shed light on the fact that women also experience such things.

10. Cardi B

Definitely the most talked about female artist of the year 2017 thus far, Cardi B has created such a unique brand that most artists, male or female, can’t say for themselves. Her “IDGAF” attitude and funny personality contribute to her success immensely. She’s proof that women can come from nothing and turn that nothing into success. So whether you like her music or not, you can’t say she didn’t change the game for women in music entirely.

These groundbreaking artists prove that music is just another part of culture that women thrive in. Do yourself a favor and give them a listen!

Photo credits: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

An advertising student at VCU and human bean. You can catch her outside lost somewhere or laughing at her own jokes. She'll claim Chief Keef is her cousin, don't believe her for the love of god. She has a passion for creative writing, music, and people.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!