An Ode to Quinoa Bowls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Spotted in Rand at lunch hour: the line for the mysterious new quinoa bowl. A long, snaking line that supersedes the boundaries of Chef James and extends uncomfortably far into the dining area, where one often finds themselves avoiding eye contact with someone they’d rather not see in the light of day.

Not my cup of tea, usually. However, on this one fateful day, I was feeling adventurous (the first week of school has that effect on you – before you’re jaded and buried in work). So, I threw my caution and hunger to the wind and joined the bandwagon waiting in line for this new mystery dish.

As I approached the front of the line, my PH reached an all time high as the basic in me emerged. This station has everything – ancient grains, kale, grilled chicken. Even BASIL PESTO. I admit, I was a bit ashamed about how excited I was to squeak out my order to the dining employee, who had clearly experienced reactions like mine for the whole afternoon, but this bowl was worth losing that little bit of my dignity.

As my friends and I sat down with our bowls (only after – and this is a real life hack – adding extra greens and toppings from the salad bar), we took our first bites, locked eyes, and let out a collective sigh. We had found it: the magnum opus of Rand dining. This bowl is the answer to the never-ending dilemma of “Should I eat something terrible for me and feel guilty or eat Leaf and be starving in two hours?” The grain is filling, the protein keeps you going in those late afternoon classes, and the greens, toppings, and dressings make it all taste like it’s not even health food.

Now, after several weeks, I’m not afraid to stand up in front of all and proclaim my love for the quinoa bowl. I’d consider myself, at this point, to be a near expert on the dish, and thus would like to impart some wisdom on those poor, unfortunate, quinoa bowl virgins out there that need a little persuading before they give up that Randwich:

1. Its all about the timing. Come at lunch hour, and you’ll find yourself in a nearly 40-minute line. But, come too late, and the selection of proteins and toppings is slim. Weigh the pros and cons of this as you see fit.
  2. It’s all about the modifications. After you leave the line with your precious bowl, hit up the salad bar for those extra toppings (my personal fave – the edamame). I take the maximization of my meal plan very seriously, and this little hack helps you get bang for your buck and your bowl.
  3. Size DOES matter. The “for here” container is much larger than the “to go” container.

And finally,

1. Quinoa isn’t just a grain – it’s a protein! (Just ask one Juliana Icke, who reminds me of this fact every time we’re in line together)