Getting Sick in College 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Getting sick in college is a whole new beast to me (I sit here writing this congested, with a mild fever and headache). While this is only my freshman year, and my first time this Spring semester feeling under the weather, it has made me think how this experience is unique from the other times I’ve gotten sick. There is the typical cycle that happens when one is feeling a cold coming on. The denial, the panic, the self-pity, and then finally the acceptance. I went through all of those motions. Yet, each of those stages takes on new meaning when all of this is happening from a college dorm, and you still have assignments upon assignments to worry about. 

Let’s begin with the denial. We all know that feeling when you feel your throat getting sore, or when you suddenly feel cold in a room that you used to have no issue with. In the back of your mind, you question whether or not that is a warning sign, but you write it off as something else. For me, this happened as I was walking to pick up Starbucks and suddenly felt a stronger chill than I had earlier that day. I thought it was just the wind, but deep down I knew. So, on my way to Starbucks, I stopped into the CVS and got tissues and vitamins.

Now for the panic. Picture this, I was sitting in Peabody library writing an essay, and suddenly it hurts to swallow. I knew then that without a doubt I was getting sick. As someone who absolutely hates being sick, this sent me into panic mode. I knew what was coming: the discomfort, the inability to focus, and the annoying nasally voice. I continued working on my essay, but not without knowing in the back of my mind that by that time tomorrow I would be in misery. 

Self-pity and panic stages are somewhat combined for me, as in both stages my mind goes to the worst-case scenario. For me, this occurred on Tuesday when I skipped my 8am, even though I was fully capable of going. I completely gave into my cold and allowed myself to feel sorry for myself. 

Lastly, is the acceptance. That is the stage that I am coming to now. While getting sick in college is a miserable experience, and makes the absence of home that much stronger, it is also a true test of independence and perseverance. Also, nothing else shows how the friends that you make at college truly become second to family, as these are the people that take care of you.

Reagan Tyler

Vanderbilt '26

My name is Reagan Tyler, I am an Elementary education and English major. My hobbies include reading, yoga, and finding new coffee shops.