Exhaustion as a Status Symbol

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

During our weekly CHAARG exec meeting, we checked in on our energy levels, time management, and the upcoming events. “It’s not even a workout, so I kind of feel like it’s a waste of my time.” “I’m managing to finish my work, but I’m barely staying afloat.” “I can’t think of anything other than _______ [insert class]!” If this is coming from us, I know 100% this is how many of you are feeling, too. The good news is, you can begin to recreate how you talk to yourself and about yourself to others. How many times have you had a conversation with someone, first thing in the morning over breakfast, where they declared how tired they were due to an assignment and you responded in kind? Is this a conversation that energized you, or further entrenched you in your own misery? How many times did you feel like it would be nice to finally check out that new coffeeshop, or go to Centennial Park, or check out a friend’s low-key poetry slam event…but didn’t because it was a “waste of time?” Instead of telling yourself you “don’t have time,” try telling yourself, “this is not a priority.” It may suddenly shift your perspective, for example, to see that connecting with loved ones is not a priority.

I would argue that 99% of what we do will never make it onto a resume or culminate in what anyone would consider a success. A relationship that doesn’t end in a lifelong, happy marriage, a test you spent months preparing for, a job you though would catapult you to the next level ending you back in your parents basement — these are all part of your story. They may not seem productive, but they are in the process of making, breaking, mending, strengthening, weakening, testing you.

So as you go through this lifelong process, remember to treat yourself like a small child. Give yourself the right food and water, take some naps, speak nicely about who you are to yourself and others, don’t play small, open up your arms wide, drop your head back and laugh from your belly button.