Workout Sesh: Undergrad Fitness, The Ugly Truth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

F i f t e e n. Who would have thought that the number 15 would take on such a new identity once we got to college? For the seniors out there, fifteen (#VSU15) is basically a sacred number. Let’s face it: May 2015 will be here before we know it! To my freshmen readers on the other hand, fifteen is probably a number that you’re less than thrilled to think about. Yeah, we’ve all been there, desperately ducking and dodging the notorious FRESHMEN FIFTEEN.

I can’t promise that this nightmare is ever going to end. However, I can promise that if you seriously consider the secrets inside this article, you’ll have a much easier time dodging the bullet.

Get active!

Remember your high school self? Yes, her: the cheer captain, point guard, gold-medal sprinter. Well, I’ve got news for you. You’re still her, just a not-as-active version of her. GET IT TOGETHER!

Before, you practiced religiously—day in and day out—with no excuses. Sure, you aren’t on a competitive team anymore but you are competing for first place. In order to keep your spot, you can’t just let that flattering figure of yours go to waste. You already have a gym membership at the Rec (just take your VSU ID)! And, there are so many ways to make your workouts memorable that you have absolutely no reason not to want to go!

Don’t be afraid to wear your matchy gym clothes & swipe on your favorite playful shade of lipstick! Be sure not to forget your iPod, a bottle of water and maybe even a gym buddy! Whatever you do, don’t forget to SWEAT IT OUT!!

Cut the crap!

I know, I know. Dining Dollars (better known as Blazer Bucks) don’t buy the healthiest of snacks. However, it is also not a requirement for you to spend them all on spicy Chick-fil-A sandwiches & milkshakes.

Of course, treating yourself to an unhealthy snack every now and then is more than acceptable. Let’s just try not to overdo it. Almost all the vendors on campus have some healthy options, so challenge yourself to make a conscious effort to better fuel your body. Let’s face it: you’d prefer to compare your body to a sleek Porsche versus a whopping Ford F-150, right? You wouldn’t dare fill your Porche’s tank with regular fuel, so what makes it okay to do that to your body? You’re a Porsche, not a Ford. Remember that.

Get some sleep!

Of course, this seems like the simplest of the three, but poor sleeping habits can also cause the most damage if not taken seriously. Sure, food gives you energy but sleep is what helps your body fully recover after a day’s worth of activities.

In order for your body to fully recover you HAVE to get enough sleep. No exceptions. And if you don’t, that thing called metabolism is no longer going to function correctly, causing your #flawless workout regimen to be ineffective. Yes, this means that it is 100% okay to take naps throughout the day. Just try to nap between classes and not during classes; we don’t support that!

Unless you’re part of the infamous Class of 2015, let’s pledge to make fifteen just another number. The choice is completely yours; you just have to be dedicated to making it a healthy one!

-HCXO

I'm Brisha, a senior at Valdosta State University double majoring in Public Relations and Spanish! Writing hasn't always been my "thing" but I now find it to be a beneficial way to express myself! My passions include fashion, fitness, healthy eating, and relationship building. Follow me on Instagram @BShavonte!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.