This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Mentally drained

We as a collective can agree that this past year leading up to today has been one of the emotional and physically draining years we’ve experienced. This left many of us scrambling to salvage what’s left of our mental health and overall quality of life. As college students, many of us may deal with depression, anxiety, sleep deprivation, stress, and more, due to our financial situation as students, we don’t usually have the means necessary to receive the help we need.

yogo stretch

Alternatives

There are many alternative methods to therapy, some of which are free and readily available. Yoga, going for walks, running/jogging are all traditional methods of exercising that are proven to be beneficial to one’s health. Going out for a bike ride or even swimming with friends are different forms of exercise that can be incorporated into our lifestyle. We might not realize it but simple activities like these that might now seem like much are actually doing a lot of work in the background. We don’t always have to find ourselves in the gym exerting our body and mind, a walk out in nature can provide us with the same mental benefits as the gym equipment.

walking

Mental health Benefits

Many studies have shown that exercising regularly has improved and treated “mild to moderate depression” just as effectively as antidepressants. One of the biggest reasons behind the mental health benefits of exercising is the boost of endorphins it releases. Endorphins are what we call the “happy hormone”, it promotes positive feelings, pleasure and boosts your overall well-being. Exercising is also an effective tool in treating anxiety, it has been proven to alleviate stress symptoms and work as a distraction from our everyday problems and negative thought patterns. Exercising regularly also helps improve our quality of sleep, nothing feels better than a post-workout nap.Hero 1 MInd your mind 1

Overall, the mental health benefits of exercise seem endless. Doing so regularly gives you a boost of self-esteem, it can improve your memory and thinking skills. Falling into a daily routine of being active will eventually improve your sleep and overall quality of life.

HCXO

Lude Jose

Valdosta '24

Not too sure about life but I'm here for it all.