This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

“Ease on down the Road!” The Wiz made its debut on Friday, April 3rd at 7:30 pm, and it was a show you wouldn’t want to miss! Sawyer Theatre was packed with an anxious crowd, waiting to see what VSU’s Theatre and Dance had prepared all of these months for. From the music to the costumes, this show was hands down the most entertaining performance this semester!

(Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion)

The character of Dorothy was played by Carla Paige, and she stole the show! Carla is a sophomore, Theatre major. She is what I would call a quadruple threat! Not only can Carla sing and dance, she can act and rap too! You can witness her many talents by visiting the MAG VSU YouTube channel. Tyrell Ruffin, a senior Theatre major, played the Scarecrow in search of a brain. Tyrell filled the crowd with laughter! Last year, Ruffin was crowned Mr. VSU, which was well deserved! The Tin Man was played by Joshua Barcol, who is also a Theatre major. Even though he was seeking a heart, he stole the crowd’s! Not only is Joshua an amazing performer, he is also a scholar. Joshua has been on the Dean’s List a few times, and he is a member of Alpha Psi Omega! Last, but most certainly not least, Michael McClain was the charismatic Lion that lacked courage! Michael is a senior studying Theatre Arts, along with his castmates. Michael did an amazing job during his perfomance, and he plastered smiles on the crowd’s faces!

(The performance)

This show sold out almost immediately! Every person that was a part of this musical played a very special role in making this production a success. The musical numbers were increadible. There was a band backstage that played the songs live, which gave the performances a more authentic feel. VSU Theatre and Dance came together in a magical way. They put their all in the show and it showed because I laughed, I smiled, and I sighed! There are some extremely talented people that attend Valdosta State and I hope to attend many more performances!

HCXO!

Ora Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Ora Lewis. I attend Valdosta State University, where I study Public Relations. I enjoy all things fashion and beauty. I love meeting new people and traveling!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.