Why You Should Masturbate More Often

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

In a world full of double standards, one that plagues us all from an early age is sex. Little boys are exposed to naked photos, their father’s nude magazines, and porn sites before they hit puberty. Ladies on the other hand are taught to keep their sex life, bodies and even period hidden from the outside world. Masturbation fall under the same shameful umbrella— but it’s the 21st century and the taboo cat is out of the bag. After watching the 2013 Rom-Com “The To-Do List” starring our favorite cool girl Aubrey Plaza, tackling all sexual feats before her freshman year in college sparked a lightbulb in my head. Why not open the conversation about masturbation so that women and men alike can be more comfortable about themselves and sex.

Here are some the benefits of masturbation that can help you get to know yourself and your partner better!

1.Get To Know Your Body

There is only so much our high school health class taught us about human anatomy, let alone sex. Educating yourself on the anatomy of the vagina should be the foundation of masturbation. Next comes the hands on learning! Taking time to figure out what sensations you like and aren’t a fan of can push you further into the direction of pleasure. The sooner you become accustomed to your own body and comfortable with yourself in and out, the sooner (or later) you can coach your partner into taking over all the “dirty” work.

2. Alleviate Period Cramps

Every girl has that 3-7 days of utter agony when Mother Nature pays us a visit, and no day is worse than the first! If you’re like me, a holistic lifestyle doesn’t always call for pain killers. Even when drinking tea and lying on a heating pad all day after taking a few Ibuprofen doesn’t do the trick, try “flicking the bean” to let the body relieve itself! Masturbation increases blood flow to your pelvic region and releases feel good chemicals such as dopamine, serotonin, epinephrine and endorphins!

3. Home Workout

Can’t seem to make it Campus Rec or even your apartment’s gym to step your squat game up? Well here’s your chance to boost your multitasking skills. Masturbation is a fun and personal workout right in the comfort of your own home— in your own bed! The act works certain parts of your body while making your pelvic region more flexible, which can come in handy when your partner joins in the festivities.

4. Promotes A Healthy Vagina

Who knew what you could enjoy could also be healthy for you, here you go multitasking again! Masturbation can lead to stronger pelvic floor; preventing UTI and urinary inconsistencies, and possiblibly preventing cervical cancer! That’s not to say you should ease up on your Kegel exercises while painting your nails or any other time for that matter.

5. Safe

Maybe you made a vow to be abstinent until marriage, haven’t found a significant other to become intimate with, or friends with benefits seems to be to advance for you—all of which are fine! Whether flying solo, with a friend/lover or the guy you just met at the bars on Saturday; the most important thing to keep in mind other than your satisfaction is your safety! Luckily with masturbation birth control methods aren’t always on the forefronts of our minds. Even so, making sure whatever you put on or in your body won’t cause any health issues should be a priority. Pay attention to labels on lubes, clean your sex toys regularly and be mindful of the way your body reacts to certain stimuli.

So the question I beg to ask is; should you masturbate more? With all these pros and not many cons I would surely suggest getting to know yourself on a whole new level! Who knows, you could be more appealing than you actually thought and I know your sweetie will think so too.

HCXO!

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.