jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Why You Should Check Out the Counseling Center on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Whether this is your fifth semester or your first, it is completely normal to feel excitement, anxiousness and loneliness at school. Luckily, there are resources that you can try out to help cope with your stress. I know the counseling center may seem intimidating but remember that bettering yourself starts with that first step. To help encourage your self-love journey, here are the following reasons as to why you should check out the center:

1. It’s FREE!

Counseling (also called therapy) generally ranges from $65 – $250. Let’s be real…college students do not have that spare cash lying around. So, as a VSU student, you receive 16 free individual sessions each academic year. 

2. Venting

It may be hard to talk to your friends about thoughts you’ve been having or emotions you’ve been experiencing. It is especially difficult to confide in someone if you are new to the campus or simply don’t have any close friends. At the counseling center, you are sure to be in a safe place, free of judgement, and it is always confidential. 

3. Group Sessions

Group sessions cover topics ranging from trauma or anxiety to mindfulness. Group activities can include group discussion, lessons on the human brain and even yoga! The content of the group sessions is confidential; what members talk about or disclose is not discussed outside the group and you may even relate to what someone else is going through.

4. Better Understanding of Yourself

As an avid therapy goer, I can truly say that I am more mindful and aware of myself than ever before. As you freely express yourself and hear the science of the  brain and advice from your counselor, you start to figure out what works for you and gain necessary coping skills. These skills take you from surviving to thriving!

HCXO!

Nicole Mccoy

Valdosta '21

Attending Valdosta State University, majoring in Business Management
Her Campus at Valdosta State.