This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Nicole Byer is most well-known from her part on MTV’s Girl Code; her fan base grew tremendously after that. Not only is her personality candidly hilarious, she doesn’t use a filter, and is not here for anyone’s negativity. That is a lethal combination in a society that uses any and all social media platforms to criticize the confident women of the world like her. She should be on your radar (like yesterday) and here’s why:

1. She’s humble: Don’t worry, you don’t have to tell her about her size or attempt to call her out about her outfit, makeup, or hair choices. Chances are that before you even had a chance to crack a joke about her, she’s already cracked one on herself. She realizes that she’s totally human and has flaws, just like you!
  2. She won’t be who they want her to be: After going to audition after audition where Hollywood casting directors encouraged her to be “more black”, she said enough was enough. Without actually disrespecting the people that do speak with a certain tone and edge, she told them that she was NOT the one. You can look for her new series to premiere on MTV, September 5th @ 10:30 p.m.
  3. She has a message for black girls: “I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again because you can’t say it enough: Your skin is beautiful — dark, light, in the middle, whatever,” she said. “Brown is beautiful. Your hair is beautiful. If you wear a weave, it’s beautiful. If you choose to be natural, that’s beautiful. Also, you are enough. You don’t need someone to complete you.”

Who doesn’t love a relatable person in the public eye? 

I hope that she continues to SLAY and use the platform that MTV has given her as a space to express herself and be a true example for young women who want to be themselves, unapologetically!

HCXO!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.