This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Many of us are nearing graduation, or we’re at least getting close to the time that we need to start applying for jobs. With almost any full time job or job that pays salary, you are required to submit a resume before you can be interviewed, let alone considered for the job. Your resume can easily stop you from being considered for a job if it doesn’t look well and isn’t organized properly, which is why it’s so important to know which type of resume is appropriate for you to use and what type of information you should include. Remember, your resume is your first impression and you want it to look great!

There are four types of resumes: functional, chronological, combination and targeted. The type of resume you choose to use will depend greatly on the type of job you are applying for. So when do you use each of these types of resumes?

1. Functional

A functional resume highlights the skills and experiences you’ve gained throughout your career life. Unlike a traditional resume, functional resumes don’t focus on listing all the jobs you’ve had and how long you worked at each job. This is great for people to use who change jobs a lot or have had periods of unemployment. This is particularly great for students who have had part time jobs that don’t relate or apply at all to the job they are applying for, but they may have had internships that gave them skills that would make them an asset for the job.

2. Chronological

This is basically the opposite of a functional resume. A chronological resume first highlights your job history. This is great to use if the jobs you’ve had relate to the job you are applying for. When using a chronological resume, always list the most recent (or current) job you’ve had first. You should only use this if you have a solid work history, meaning there are no gaps and you haven’t changed jobs several times.

3. Combination

A combination resume combines a functional resume with a chronological resume. With this type of resume, you can highlight your skills and your work history. On a combination resume, it is best to start by listing your skills first, followed by your work history. If you have a solid work history at relatable/similar jobs and have gained the types of skills the job you are applying for requires, a combination resume is the way to go.

4. Targeted

If you’ve had experience with the type of work or skills the job you are applying for requires, a targeted resume is the perfect one for you. Although these take a bit more time to make, this is the most job-specific resume there is. When making a targeted resume, it’s best for you to see (and have nearby) the skills are requirements that the job you are applying for is looking for in a potential employee. That way, you can basically list on your resume how you gained that skill or experience that they are looking for.

Writing resumes can be intimidating and stressful because you want to make sure that they look great and of course, you want them to be good enough to get you the job or at least an interview. If you’re having trouble making your resume and need more help, you can always research it or visit VSU’s Career Opportunities. Good luck and happy job-hunting!

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.