This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

After being in a relationship, regardless of how long it was, there is always a time where you have to let go. It’s both healthy and helpful to your mental state. Women are typically the emotional ones, not all, but the vast majority. When the relationship is long lasting, it’s usually the hardest to let go and move on to new people, places, and things.

There are a few steps to knowing when it’s time to let go:

1. When You’re Frequently Checking His Pages

If you’re on his social media and basically stalking him and everything he does, STOP! This doesn’t make it any better. It actually leaves lasting images and feelings within you. Memories are great to have and often think about, but not when dealing with a breakup.

2. When you wont allow yourself to be with someone else

That is one of the worst things to do because you may be looking at the man of your dreams right in front of you, but the image and thoughts of your ex can block your blessings. This is letting your ex have control outside of the relationship and that is never okay. Let go and allow yourself time to breath and look forward to the future.

3.  When you think you cant live without that person

This is negative thinking. When you think your world and life revolves around that ex, that is also giving them control. You have to live for you, not anyone else. When you live for you, no one can ever get in the way of your happiness.

When you experience those things and more of an emotional state of being sad, just think about yourself. Be selfish because it’s your life. You have every right to do that. Once you let go, you’ll feel so much better. It’s a freedom type of feeling.

HXCO!

Hello, Paige Buchanan is currently a junior mass media major and journalism minor at Valdosta State University. She loves the art of writing and media. Her career goal is to be a News Anchor. She loves to socialize with new people, explore her options in every aspect, and has many goals set for herself. She always has loved the quote "The Sky Isn't The Limit, It's Only The View" Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: paige_beauty96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.