you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Would You Do for Money?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Alright, so you’ve just encountered a serious dilemma. You have two opportunities that both prove to have something to offer you. *FIRST, PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK BECAUSE… CONGRATS!* They are equal in pros and cons, but one option, in particular, has the pro of all pros: MONEY. After calling up your mom and your girls, or boys, you somehow still came out lost. Here are a few things to think about.

Before we go any further, I would like to add in that this article may not give you the right answer; however, I hope it does offer some substantial things to think about to help your process.

Last semester, around late April, I got two educational opportunities. One was working at a camp in West Virginia, and the other, a theater in New Orleans. After calling up my girls, my mother, my fiancée and a multitude of other people, I was still lost. The camp was offering me more money, but I had my hesitations because there were things in the job description I wasn’t necessarily interested in completely. BUT WITH NEW ORLEANS, I WAS DEFINITELY A FAN, however, the expenses to move there for 3 months, without as big a coin, caused reasonable hesitation.  I’m moving into a pretty important stage of my life( getting married and all) that requires a bit of starter cash, so I went to the camp and had just the experience I thought I’d have. Everything I thought to be good about the camp was, indeed, good and everything I thought was going to be a pain in my butt was definitely a pain in my butt. So, on my bad days, I often thought about my decision of coming here and how it possibly wasn’t a good one. Like, weeping; “on my front porch with zero phone service weeping”. Now, it’s all said and done. I finished it, got what I wanted and exactly what I needed.

In no way am I saying, “Always choose the decision that involves more money” because……JUST NO! But, what I AM saying is to not be ashamed of doing what you have to do. Priorities are a large part of life. If you have to do something for money and it doesn’t involve sacrificing your personal morals or identity, then, by all means, go for it and make that coin, honey! But most importantly, don’t short yourself the experience by wondering about what could’ve been the entire time. Also, if you got the offer the first time, then I promise it will come again if it’s for you.

On the flip side, if you have no reason to worry about money, then what are you waiting for? Your “New Orleans” is waiting for you with open arms! Dive into your happiness, girl (or boy)! With all the enthusiasm you have for this opportunity, I pray it delivers happiness and success to you. And finally, if you’re still lost, I urge you to seek God….. Or eenie-meenie-miney-moe.  

-HCXO!

Danysha Lamadieu is a 20 something year old blogger, attending Valdosta State University majoring in Theatre Performance. She plans, after graduation, to be a Educational Outreach Director for a theatre on the east coast!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.