This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

This month’s full moon will be something to behold. Actually, there hasn’t been a full month like this one in almost six decades!! On November, 14th the moon will be closer to the Earth than it ever has been in over sixty years resulting in a supermoon. First things first, what exactly is a supermoon?

A supermoon is a new or full moon closely coinciding with the moon’s closest point to Earth in its monthly orbit according to Astronomer Richard Noelle. Due to the proximity of the moon, it could have real physical effects on the tides causing them to be larger than usual. Although the moon is not actually changing in size it will appear to be almost ten times bigger than normal size. Supermoons actually happen several times throughout the year. In fact, October had one and December will also have one on the 14th.

This month’s supermoon is also known as the “Beaver moon.” According to the Old Farmer’s Almanac, The moon got its name from both colonists and members of the Algonquin tribe because at this time they would set beaver traps before the river froze so that they may have warm furs for the winter approaching. Although no actual beavers are involved this time, the event will be no less spectacular!

You will be able to view the supermoon at any point in time throughout the night on November 14th so be sure to keep an eye out and go ahead and take a selfie, the whole world will be watching! For more information or tracking of the supermoons be sure to check out earthsky.org or watch a Livestream of the supermoon at http://live.slooh.com/stadium/live/mega-beaver-moon

HCXO!!

Michaela Washington is a current writer for Her Campus, Valdosta State Chapter. She is a senior, psychology major at Valdosta State University. She is an aspiring Mental health counselor through the field of Social work. Her hobbies include poetry. spoken word and painting. Growing up a military brat she has acquired quite an eclectiv view of the world and applies it to all aspects of life; fashion, music, and life philosophies. There is beauty in diversity. Follow her on Instagram @universoully_sound or on Twitter @Mschaela.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.