Suggestions for Doing the Adulting Thing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Academics can totally consume your life while you’re in college if you let it. This is a well-known fact by all. In the midst of the storm of assignments, tests, papers, and class discussions, there is still adulting to be done. Being an adult is already hard when you’re trying to keep up with all of the various responsibilities in your life, then you add the super adulting things like credit cards and credit scores and life just gets ridiculously real. These three suggestions are great starters for anyone looking to flourish as a contributing member of the “real” world:

Establish credit now

Many credit card companies, CITI for example, are just waiting for college students to come to them and start building credit. If you’re looking to improve your money management skills then applying for a credit card will force you to be serious about your spending. However, if you’re already a big spender as it is, you may want to think thrice about this.

Gain independence

Possibly the scariest, most adventurous suggestion one can make. College is a superb time to transition yourself from leaning so much on your guardians to doing it all on your own. We’re not necessarily speaking in financial terms, but other aspects as well. Maybe it’s time to stop calling your dad every time you need to cook something and look up a recipe on Pinterest! Practice makes perfect.

Take professional photos

A step up from the usual selfies, and a little more scenic than a bathroom mirror, a professional picture is more than necessary for future employers to see what you’re about. You wouldn’t go handing out your pictures at any and every interview, but at least have one on standby just in case adding a photo to your resume is an option. You don’t want to have to dig up a picture that needs a little cropping and tweaking.

Whatever step you decide to take first, do it with full force. When you half-ass as a wannabe adult, you’re still being childish! If you need to space your adulting goals out, then feel free to do so. Maybe every six months, try to take your grown up status up a notch. I believe in you!

HCXO!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.