Succeeding in Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

2020 is coming to an end so it is time to start thinking about what your New Yea’s resolutions will be. New Year’s resolutions are a hit or miss for a lot of us. Studies have shown that only 8% of Americans keep and fulfill their resolutions throughout the year whereas bout 80% of Americans given up or failed by the month of February. It is your time to change that 8% and make 2021 yours. 

QUITTING BAD HABITS

There are various types of bad habits and all of them are difficult to get rid of. A bad habit could be as small as biting your nails to as big as accessive drinking. In order to break a habit, you need to understand what is it. 

Once you have recognized the issue you must also know what causes it to happen, this being your trigger. A trigger could be feeling anxious or uncertain in the situation. In this case, you must separate yourself from the issue and evaluate how you feel and think through why it is happening, 

The next thing is to keep in mind the reason why you are trying to break your habits. Think about your goals and results that are waiting for you at the finish line. This will motivate and get you to keep pushing to achieve your goals. 

Remind yourself. Do what you think is right to help you. You can remind yourself by writing post-it notes all over the house or set a daily reminder on your phone for in the morning and certain times throughout your day. 

Last, remember that the end of this goal is going to be for the better and it does not matter whether it is big or small.

GETTING IN SHAPE

Getting back in shape or finally starting to get into shape is not the same experience for everyone. It is almost everyone’s number one task to complete during the New Year but it is also almost everyone’s failed task. 

Before you do anything analyze the reasons why you want to do this. Make sure you are doing this for you. Do not do this because your extremely rude and uptight aunt keeps commenting on your size during the holidays or because the Instagram models are flooding your feed with only one body type. Creating a diet plan and days to exercise is not the difficult part about the resolution, the difficult part is being consistent. 

NEW HOBBIES

Now is your chance to pick up dancing like how you always dreamed of or finally learning how to cook. The new year is all about new experiences and you have 365 days to find what you like. 

Pick up a hobby you never even thought about, maybe skateboarding or learning how to sew. There are endless things that you can pick up on. All you need to do is believe in yourself and take a chance.

SAVING MONEY

As college students for a lot of us, we may not be the best at keeping up with our financials or fighting the urge to buy that PS5. Do not worry, it happens to the best of us. When it comes to saving money, the best thing you can do is keep track of what you’re doing.

Split up your spending habits and set realistic goals for yourself. This way you are able to give yourself a treat for achieving them. 

Plan what days you will order take out or will buy that chemistry textbook you know you need. 

Create limitations. Decide that you will only spend $100 on groceries that will last you for the next days or weeks.

Decide on what to take out. There is no reason to continue paying for cable when you already have HBOMAX, Netflix, and Hulu.  

Give yourself a break and splurge RESPONSIBLY.

BE MORE ORGANIZED

Becoming more organized is easier said than done but that might be because you are making it too hard.

When it comes to resolutions, you should make them catered to you, not how they seem for everyone else. Find what works for you, it may be writing little notes to yourself throughout the day, keeping a journal, doing the task immediately when you think of it, or just shortening the load and doing it piece by piece. Make your organization work for you, not the other way around. 

DO SOMETHING FOR THE COMMUNITY

This year has been truly chaotic and it has not even ended yet. A lot of the times the issues of the previous year will bring itself to the new one, so why not do something good to throw away the bad ways of 2020. 

There are tons of things that need fixing and tons of things you can do to help. Donate old clothes to your local goodwill or salvation army. Adopt an animal for a shelter. Join a Boy and Girls Club or Habitat for Humanity. There are dozens of organizations that are looking for people like you to make a difference. 

Hold fast to dreams

For if dreams die

Life is a broken-winged bird

That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams

For when dreams go

Life is a barren field

Frozen with snow.

Dreams by Langston Huges

Jasmin Small

Valdosta '23

Hey ladies!! I am a student Valdosta State University. (Class of 2023 WHOOP WHOOP) I major in journalism and minor in mass media. I'm a pretty fun person to be around (at least I hope that I am).
Her Campus at Valdosta State.