Self-care: A Guide to Kick Those Bad Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t have a lot of productive qualities. This was all well and fine my first couple of years of college, because everyone knows that “C’s get degrees.” However, lately I’ve been realizing that I’m never going to get the most out of my degree if I don’t try my best. I’m also not going to reach my goals in life if I don’t learn to break my bad habits. So I’ve come up with some tips that might help kickstart this journey.

First and foremost…

Stop Procrastinating 

This goes for everything! Not just that assignment that’s due in two days, but also that yoga class that you thought looked nice or that therapy session you wanted to try. “Why put off tomorrow what you can do today?” You could continue to put off the work but it’s only going to push you further from your goals,  whether that’s an A in your class or to be more grounded spiritually. Maybe you can work out a reward system to help you stay on track with completing your assignments, etc. 

Learn to Manage Your Time

Once you stop procrastinating, this will become a little easier. I found that getting a planner and a wall calendar helped to manage my time. Write out every important date on your calendar so you can know what days are free for studying or how long you have to complete a project/assignment. 

This was my hardest one to face but I finally had to tell myself…

Stop Being Lazy 

Life is hard; life is always going to be hard. You’re always going to have inconveniences and things you might not want to do, but taking the easy way out isn’t going to get you far. 

Seeing where you could improve and then doing the necessary work to make it happen is self-care by way of self-reflection. It’s going to be difficult and a little uncomfortable because it’s new and it’s not easy to admit that you’re the one holding yourself back. However, life is about growth, and to get the most out of it you have to be willing to step outside your comfort zone sometimes.

Viola Davis

Valdosta '20

"What is done in love is done well" -Vincent Van Gogh "This section is supposed to be a small portion about me and I feel like this quote from Van Gogh describes me to a t." Viola is a very loving person/artist, sensitive, and passionate about everything she does. Viola is an introverted soul trying something different, and wanting to share her interest with you. She's all over the place and tends to be a bit unorthodox but you'll enjoy it. Viola is an Art Education Major with a minor in Psychology. Her dream is to work in New York as an art therapist for children with special needs.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.