This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Animals are very dear to my heart. Ever since I was a little girl, I have always appreciated animals for their mystery and beauty. I recently went to an adoption session at PetSmart and my heart ached for all of the animals that were abused and left on the street. I decided to do some research and found some animal shelters that myself and others in Valdosta can take helpless animals to and also adopt animals as well. Below is a list of some local animal shelters for our community. 

1. The Humane Society

The Humane Society is located at 307 E Jane St. The mission of the Humane Society is to promote responsible pet ownership by teaching compassion, respect, and caring treatment of animals. Their contact information is 229-247-3266 and they are open Monday-Friday 9am to 2pm. 

2. Lowndes County Animal Shelter 

The Lowndes County Animal Shelter is located at 337 Gil Harbin Industrial Blvd. The main goal of this shelter is to make sure that every single pet that is adopted will be adopted to a great caring caretaker. I really love this goal, because many times people adopt pets on impulse and don’t take care of them. For this purpose, adoption isn’t as easy as one would think. Be prepared to go through a thorough process before being able to take a pet home. Their contact information is 229-671-2760 and their adoption hours are Tuesday-Friday 12:00pm to 4:30pm. 

3. B.A.R.C Humane Society 

B.A.R.C Humane Society is not affiliated with the Humane Society nor the Lowndes County Animal Shelter, they are different businesses. The mission of this shelter is to rescue animals from surrounding shelters and place them in foster homes while they await to be adopted. The great thing about this shelter is that even if you don’t want to adopt an animal, they are always looking for volunteers to help & provide basic animal care supplies so you can visit as much as you would like. They are located at 2273 US Highway 84 W. Their contact information is 229-244-8500.

4. D.A.R.E Animal Rescue

D.A.R E stands for defending, advocating, rescuing, and educating. The main mission of D.A.R.E is to improve the lives of animals in our local communities by decreasing overpopulation. I really love what this shelter stands for because not only does the shelter do amazing work, they also tie in the community by advocating for animals and setting standards for clean and healthy environments for the animals until they are adopted. The are located at 1709 Gornto Road and their phone number is 229-242-1361. 

If you are an animal lover like myself, I would suggest definitely taking out the time to visit these shelters. Even if you feel you are not ready to adopt an animal at the moment, volunteering and visiting is a great start to help promoting successful adoption for these animals. All of the above shelters have websites, so feel free to visit each site for more detailed information on how you can help and make a difference. 

-HCxo!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.