Personal Development: Intrapersonal Intelligence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Let’s be completely honest, life can be a bit overwhelming at times. When constant progress is a main goal, the preparation in order to succeed begins to take its toll. We lose our balance and drift back into our comfort zone when we grow tired of pushing through barriers built on fear. A lot of times our comfort zone is not place that is very beneficial. It may lack acknowledgement of the heart, your motivation, your beliefs, etc. However, maintaining your balance may not be so difficult when you aim to increase your intrapersonal intelligence. This is defined as your ability to recognize and understand your emotions, your perception versus others, and your drive as well as its effect on others.

Another way to look at intrapersonal intelligence is by seeing it as self-knowledge and the capability to adapt based on the knowledge gained from experiences and interactions with others. Also, it may be seen as the ability to understand one’s perception and recognize that it may not level with the next person’s due to the fact that you each have a different line of past interactions. This intelligence includes being aware of one’s strengths and weaknesses, inner moods, intents, inspirations, dispositions, desires, and also the ability to maintain self-discipline.

Here are some characteristics of a person with high intrapersonal intelligence:

• introverted
  • philosophical
  • perfectionist
  • self-aware
  • intuitive
  • prefers working alone 

Some strategies known to increase intrapersonal intelligence:

• Self reflection and meditation- Practicing these strategies in a quiet environment allows for acknowledgement of which interactions serve to nourish and which interactions are detrimental. Continuing to interact with negative energies causes harm to one’s inspirations and desires. These detrimental interactions, along with fear of failure, serve as barriers of containment to a malignant comfort zone. 
  • Set short/long-term goals- Setting both short and long term goals ar both necessary for continuous development. A short term goal could be something you would like to accomplish this week, this month, or even this year. It is simply something that you wouldl like to accomplish soon. On the other hand, a long term goal will require significantly more time to complete. These goals require a great deal of planning and most of the time, one’s short term goals lead to their long term goals 
  • Affirm your successes- It is very important to praise yourself when you have acheived a goal! In the end, each goal accomplished is one for ourselves. No one else can achieve your goals for you. Take pride in what you do because your work is a reflection of yourself. 

The mother of enlightment once said, “How you gon’ win when you ain’t right within?” You cannot understand what is bettering you and what is harming you until you fully know yourself. Also, how can you fully know yourself if you are never alone? Take these words into account when you find yourself scrambling through life and I hope they show you some guidance.

HCXO!

Jamesia Folston is an Early Childhood Education student at Valdosta State University. She is a 23 year old alternative music addict who enjoys traveling, thrifting, and creating. She aspires to become an educator abroad and globetrotter.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.