This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

We pay so much for beauty products that are full of chemicals and don’t last us long. Or we pay even more for all natural ones that get used up even faster. Luckily, there are an abundance of at home recipes for natural, affordable beauty products.

Let’s start with essential oils. They are affordable, all natural, they actually work and less than an ounce can last you months. What’s better is each oil has many uses. You may buy one for beauty then use it for cleaning. Here are some of the things they can do for your body:

1. Diminish Cellulite – Massage lime oil directly to specific area or use it with coconut oil.
  2. Diminish Wrinkles – Apply lime oil directly to area with wrinkles or fine lines.
  3. Moisturize – Combine tangerine oil with coconut oil and massage into your skin.
  4. Strengthen hair – Apply 5 drops of Patchouli oil to your scalp.
  5. Minimize scars – Rub 2-3 drops of patchouli on your hands and apply to scarred area
  6. Itchy Scalp – Add lavender oil to your shampoo.
  7. Dry Scalp – Apply pine needle oil directly to your scalp.
  8. Acne face wash – Combine raw honey (avoid what’s packaged in plastic) and tea tree oil. Rub mixture into face then thoroughly wash.
  9. Improve sleep – We all need our beauty sleep. Rub patchouli oil into your hands and inhale, also touch your temples, neck and chest after applying it to your hands.
  10. Reduce stress/ anxiety – Diffuse lavender next to your bed or throughout your home.

On the other hand, maybe you don’t want to spend any money at all and are looking to use what may be around your home.

1. Eliminate tired, puffy eyes – Brew two bags of black, green, or chamomile tea. Let the bags cool in the fridge, then apply them to puffy under eyes for 10-15 minutes.
  2. Reduce redness of the skin – Do you have an Aloe Vera plant? Commonly used on sun burns, Aloe Vera is great for any redness or inflammation of the skin.
  3. Improve your overall skin health – drink water! We’ve all heard it a million times, but consuming enough water daily seriously works.
  4. Generally improved health – Try dry brushing! Dry brushing is an ancient technique of just brushing your skin with a natural bristle brush. It improves circulation, reduces the appearance of cellulite and wrinkles, supports organ health, and more. Learn more about dry brushing here: http://www.thankyourbody.com/benefits-of-dry-skin-brushing/

Your beauty regimen doesn’t have to break the bank, and you don’t need chemicals for an effective product. HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.