Mental Health Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The American Psychiatric Association describes depression as “a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act.” According to Harvard Medical School, research says that depression not only comes from a chemical imbalance, but also from things such as tension, medications, or genes. Depression can make you feel like you are constantly by yourself. Sometimes even in a room full of people, you feel like there is no one to hold a conversation with, so you just go to the corner and stay by yourself. Typically, depression does not result from just one thing. It can easily build up inside of you from a mixture of multiple events, along with personal factors. Individuals that have suffered from a history of depression or that are at risk of depression can lapse into depression at any given moment. 

Sometimes, it is too late to ask “ hey did you know that such and such had depression?” or “ hey what can I do to help you?” They’re already gone because we don’t know how to handle the emotional side of them having depression. Depression is more than an illness that you can take a pill to fix in a couple of months. The truth is you are never going to be “perfect” again. No one on this Earth is perfect and that is okay. It takes dedication, time, and support, but you are worth that effort. Always remember that.

Sometimes, you just need to talk to someone. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is open 24/7. If you are depressed or you think your friend may be depressed, you should go see a doctor for treatment and possibly therapy. If you know someone with depression, HELP. This can never be stressed enough. If they say “leave me alone”, take them out and just spend quality time with them. Let them know that they are not alone, that you’re always there for them.  If they say “I’m fine”, you say “No. You’re not.” Never let them be alone; it’s too dangerous. I’m not a doctor but if you’re suffering from depression sit down and think about who is free at all times every day and continuously keep yourself actively around someone. Even if they spend the night with you.  Being alone leaves a depressed person with only their thoughts, and depression is the scariest, most horrible illness to go through alone. Just remember you are not alone. 

Please remember that you’re beautiful and strong and you should be so proud of yourself. Take each day at a time, even if it’s in baby steps.

1-800-273-8255 – Suicide Hotline

877-226-311 – Addiction Hotline

844 -228 -2962 – Eating Disorder Hotline

877-455-0628 – Self Harm Hotline

888-640-5174 – Depression Hotline

Her Campus at Valdosta State.