Life, Love & College: 4 Ways to Make Your Life Healthier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Everyone can use a lifestyle adjustment. While we’re comfortable with our everyday routines, some of our habits may not be the healthiest. Here are 4 lifestyle changes that help you feel better and healthier in a big way.

1. More Sleep

Everyone needs to sleep. While college is hectic, sleep is important. Your body needs sleep in order to maintain a healthy weight. Ideally, your body needs 6-8 hours of rest a night.

A lack of sleep also alters your eating habits. The less sleep you have, the more likely you are to grab junk food like chips, candy and sugary, caffeinated drinks. Plus, the more tired you are, the less likely you are to exercise.

In order to improve your sleeping habits, try these tips:

1. Cut out caffeine in the afternoon. Around 4 p.m., stop drinking caffeinated drinks because caffeine causes your body to remain active for approximately 6 hours. The more caffeine you drink later on in the day, the more difficult it will be to fall asleep at night.
  2. Exercise daily. Whether it’s an hour and a half at the gym or ten minutes of dancing, exercising will help you fall asleep faster. Exercise a few hours before you go to sleep so that you can enjoy a good night’s rest.
  3. Cut off social media. Disconnect yourself from the outside world. That means no cell phones, no text messages, no computers, tablets, TV, emails… and especially NO Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Tumblr. By turning everything off, you can focus on falling asleep faster.

2. Eat Breakfast

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It helps your metabolism and keeps you energized throughout the day… Oh, and you’re less hungry. The less hungry you are, the less cravings you have throughout the day!

Any breakfast is a good breakfast, but choosing a healthier option is the best choice. Having a protein-filled breakfast keeps you fuller longer. Opt for scrambled eggs, whole grain toast or waffles, or even cereal with skim milk, yogurt or fruit, and you’ll be off to a healthier start.

3. Drink Water

We all love sugary drinks: sodas, juices, smoothies, teas, coffee. While they’re all delicious, some contain the same amount of calories as a meal. Plus, the high levels of sugar can actually stimulate your appetite, causing you to become hungry. One simple solution: switch to water.

Water helps to keep you hydrated, quench your thirst and calm your appetite. Water may be healthy, but it also has a plain taste. Try spicing up your water by adding slices of lemon, lime or other fruit to add more taste to your drink.

4. Say Goodbye to Stress

College life can be exciting but also very stressful. Between classes, homework, friends, family, relationships, work and extracurricular activities, college can become overwhelming. With an overwhelmed life, stress can creep in.

The more in your life, the more it affects your body’s metabolism. In order to eliminate stress, try these simple stress-relieving techniques.

1. Ten minutes of physical activity daily.

2. Take five minutes out of your day to breathe. Five minutes of breathing and clearing your mind of stress can prevent you from having a complete meltdown. Whether it’s dancing, listening to music or writing, everyone should take five minutes out of their day to simply breathe.

3. Try meditation. Meditating can help ease your mind of its troubles. Try yoga and inhaling/exhaling for ten minutes a day and you’re one step closer to a stress-free life.

If you follow these 4 steps, you can achieve a healthier lifestyle change. A healthier life will ultimately lead to a better life for you in the long run!

Hey, everyone. My name is Ashlea Danielle. I'm 22. Senior at Valdosta State University. #TeamScorpio #BlazerNation
Her Campus at Valdosta State.