Impulse Buying, Why It’s Just Not a Good Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Impulse Buying is the buying of goods without planning to do so in advance, as a result of a sudden whim or impulse. When it comes to impulse buying it can really be harmful to your pockets. I suffer from a serious case of impulse buying, and it’s like something that I just can’t help. This is a very unhealthy habit I have formed over the years. I made a promise to myself for this year to break this habit and finally learn how to save money. Here are a few things I’ve learned to do whenever I get that urge to swipe that card.

Stay Home:

The best way to save money is to stay home. Stay away from temptation. You can’t spend on things you don’t see. Now, this also applies to online shopping as well. You can’t be logging onto those clothing websites, and ordering everything you see. You have to stay productive in other ways that keeps you from going to stores or logging onto clothing websites.

Take A Deep Breath:

Whenever you begin to get an urge to spend then just take a deep breath and say “I don’t need this.” You have to learn to resist temptation and realize that all your impulse problems are just wants. They aren’t needs! So, breathe slowly and exit off the clothing website or exit the store. You have to have will power, but you will make it through.  

Plan Purchases:

This is somewhat like setting up a budget. If you write down all your purchases that you need and strictly follow that list, then you will be better off. You will also prevent yourself from overspending on things that you don’t need. So, by saving those extra coins then you can buy something you truly want.

HCXO!

Hillary Griffin is a Business Marketing major and Advertising and Promotions minor at Valdosta State University. She is a 4'11, natural haired girl with a love for all things makeup. Experiencing life the right way is her main goal in life.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.