How To Deal With Mid-Semester Slump: Valdosta State Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It is that time of the year that every college student dreads: midterms week. I can just hear someone having a break-down at 2 AM the night before that midterm test. It is frightening. It is so sad to see all of the college students (including myself) having a breakdown over a test that will not matter after that degree is handed to you. So, before you crumble in tears and lose all motivation I am here to give you my tips for the mid-semester slump. With that being said, gather your crystals, smudge your sage, and let’s get on with these tips!

Tip 1: ORGANIZATION, ORGANIZATION, ORGANIZAITON! 
  • I can’t stress this enough! Before tackling those huge exams and endless hours of studying/projects: make a list of what you need to do. Start by putting assignments that are harder and have fast-approaching due dates on top to see what are your biggest challenges. Doing this you can see what is a huge task (i.e. making a study guide for your midterms) and turn them into smaller ones over the course of the week. Making a list of due dates and tasks will give you a sense of where you are going during midterms week!
Tip 2: Set Goals! 
  • Setting goals can help you feel accomplished no matter how small. As you set goals and crush them, have a reward system in place (i.e. if you get an A on all your midterms, go get your nails did!). Having a reward system in place can help motivate you to do your very best.
Tip 3: Take Break 
  • Getting overwhelmed is a thing we all struggle with during these 2 weeks of midterms, and it cannot be avoided. From fighting for study rooms at Odum to long lines at Starbucks, it is hectic AF! Take a break from your work and go to the front lawn, enjoy an event on campus, or go out to eat! Mental health and self-love comes first! Before ANYTHING! 
    Tip 4: Breathe! 
  • Midterm stress and mid-semester slump are two feelings that are real and valid. Don’t be afraid to reach out to a classmate or professor for help! Everyone has been in your spot before! You are not alone! Valdosta State also provides good mental health resources here on campus if you need to vent! 

Before I go, I will leave you with this:

The midterm week stress and mid-semester slump is only 2 weeks! Spring break is right around the corner!! What are your spring break plans?

– HCXO

Nicolette is a junior at Valdosta State University, majoring in Communications with an emphasis in social media and interpersonal. She is also a digital content creator and freelance writer for Thought Catalog. Nicolette is also an avid coffee drinker, animal lover, and anime/marvel fanatic. Nicolette has a passion for catching up with the latest social media trends, writing and networking. Her dream career would be a social media manager or marketing coordinator.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.