This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Even though the term may be relatively new, Menstrual Etiquette is by no means a new concept. The history of Menstrual Etiquette can date all the way back to early eras of human existence. Although most civilizations and societies deemed the natural menstrual cycle as a horrible taboo, there were some societies that thought much differently. The Egyptians used menstrual blood for sorcery, and the Greeks mixed menstrual blood with wine to water their crops. However, in today’s time, Menstrual Etiquette still falls within the lines of the “social norm.”

tampons
Photo by Josefin from Unsplash

What is Menstrual Etiquette?

Menstrual Etiquette is not the same as Menstrual Hygiene, which does not actually uphold to its name. Menstrual Etiquette is the silent yet shameful stigma of women’s menstrual cycles. It consists of unwritten rules that give women feelings of anxiety and embarrassment for any public exposure to having or being on one’s menstrual cycle. Old myths and beliefs created this notion that the women’s menstrual cycle is taboo or dangerous and continues to influence today’s Menstrual Etiquette.

What Does it Look Like Today?

Communication Never heard of Menstrual Etiquette? Exactly. Menstrual Etiquette feeds off of the discretion of the Menstrual Cycle, including its communication between the menstruator, other menstruators, and those who do not experience it. A very common example of this are the various names meant to signify one’s period portion of the menstrual cycle without actually saying “period” like “shark week,” “mother nature’s visit,” and “that time of the month.” This kind of communication is not only for those who do not experience it, but it is even used between those who share the experience, if spoken about in the first place. There are many menstruators that do not actually talk to each other about their menstrual cycles even though they know what the experience is like. This lack of communication between menstruators and anyone else has affected other aspects of life as well, such as what actions should be taken when dealing with a PERIOD.

Actions Because the Menstrual Cycle is kept behind one’s own door, one must manage through much of the experience on their own. A prime example of this is period products and how to get them, use them, carry them around, and where to store them. Typically, a mother, or possibly older sister, can help a new menstruator through this transition. However, as stated in communication, even these close, loved ones may not speak about it in public or often. Furthermore, these products are often hidden in shopping carts, bags, pockets, and even tucked away in a cabinet at home.

Menstrual pad for period
Photo by @rochariosphotos

How Can We Challenge the Menstrual Etiquette Stigma?

Communication To start challenging the Menstrual Etiquette stigma, there needs to be communication about it freely and publicly. Menstruators and those who do not experience it should be able to talk about the issues of Menstrual Etiquette and the natural functions of the Menstrual Cycle without the fear of judgement or embarrassment. Furthermore, this communication can be incredibly insightful for people all around that do not know about Menstrual Etiquette or even the Menstrual Cycle entirely.

Confidence Another way to challenge the Menstrual Etiquette stigma is to flaunt your natural bodily function with confidence. This is to say that you should not be ashamed of all the things that can be publicly advertised as “Yes, I am bleeding for the next week.” You should not try to conceal the crinkles of opening a product wrapper in the bathroom, hide your product as you walk to the nearest bathroom, or even cover up their packages as you stroll around the grocery store. Your natural self needs attention, and that should not be something to be embarrassed about showing.

Respect While Menstrual Etiquette has been gaining popularity over the past several years, it is important to be respectful to those who still do not know about it and who may not see eye-to-eye with your perspectives. Even some menstruators may have trouble coming to terms with how to go about Menstrual Etiquette and may not even want to challenge its stigma. If this is one’s decision on how to live their life, then it should be respected as such. This is the same for menstruators that choose different methods of dealing with their periods (like free bleeding, organic products, or diva cups) as well as those who may not feel comfortable talking about it for reasons other than the unwritten rules of Menstrual Etiquette (like if it was because they could not fully understand the experience). Whatever the case may be, it is important to respectfully let others know about it while maintaining respect for their responses and decisions.

How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

You should do whatever makes you feel comfortable, and being able to live comfortably with your natural body and everything in its package is the most important. Let us spread the word of Menstrual Etiquette and the issues that follow it! Stay safe!

P.s. You Want To Read More?

Try visiting YourPeriodCalled or SheThinx online!

Hello, my name is Belle! I am an Art Major (Photography, Graphic Design, and Printmaking) at VSU with an Associate of Art degree from CCGA. I think everyone would agree I could be the face of all Virgos known to Earth. But I'm glad to be getting back into writing, and some of my other passions, again! I hope you all enjoy all the random things I end up writing <3
Her Campus at Valdosta State.