Here’s Why You Should Start Your Resolutions NOW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

“On average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic — 66 days to be exact.”

There are many reasons why New Year Resolutions fail, and one of the biggest reasons is because we start too late.

There are some that says it takes 30 days to form a new habit, and the quote from above says that it takes 66! One thing for sure is that it’s not something you can expect to build in one day, just because the year has changed.

So you’re saying that we should start now?  

Yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying. And here are three reasons why:

1. Practice Makes Perfect.

If you start today, you have a little over a month to mess up and try again before the New Year comes. This means that by the time the new year roles in you’ll probably have that thing on lock!  

2. Is this new habit even worth it?

Sometimes we set goals or habits that are a little too much or require a lot more from us than we’re ready to give. Wouldn’t it be great to figure that out beforehand? Instead of bringing that quitters energy into our new year.  

3. It makes you less basic.

We’ve all heard the jokes about how New Years Resolutions work: the gym is packed in January, everyone is posting pictures of their new food diet, and the positive tweets start popping up everywhere. A great way to separate yourself from “those” people is to go ahead and get a head start!

New Years Eve is right around the corner, so let’s get to it!  I wish you all the very best.

HCXO

Markesia Barron is a senior at Valdosta State University. She majors in Middle Grades Education concentrated in Language Arts and Reading. After graduation, she plans to become a middle school Language Arts teacher in the Metro Atlanta area. Markesia enjoys writing, reading, super-hero movies, and meditating outside. She's a big Beyonce fan and self-care enthusiast.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.