Fall Premiere Queen #WCW: Shonda Rhimes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The queen of Fall premieres, Shonda Rhimes, makes a strong comeback this fall and we are so excited! Three addictive shows make landfall within the next two weeks: HTGAWM, Grey’s Anatomy, and the final season of Scandal. 

But Shonda Rhimes is more than just a TV writer, we can also add creator, executive producer, showrunner, author, mother and advocate her lengthy resume. A native of Chicago, Rhimes is no stranger to hard times and rocky come-ups but here she is dominating our Thursday nights with back to back TO BACK hit television shows.

As early as 2005, Rhimes introduced us to Meredith Grey on Grey’s Anatomy. A few years later, Grey’s spin-off show, Private Practice. With shows following, Rhimes next big hit was the 2012 premiere of Scandal with the dominating Olivia Pope. Shortly after, 2014 brought us our favorite lawyer and professor starring none other than Viola Davis.

Under the production of Shondaland, Rhimes very own production company, she has decided to take her talents to the net. Striking up a multi-year development deal with Netflix as of last month, Rhimes explores creativity with future content writers (hence her commercials) and instantaneous global reach.

Nominated and winning more awards than we can count, Shonda has created a real empire that we can only admire and aspire to reach. Recently calling for better representation of LGBTQ characters and diversity within Hollywood, Rhimes never shy’s away from calling out her fellow TV community for their obvious shortcomings. And Shonda, therefore you will continue to dominate our Fall TV and forever be our Woman Crush!

HCXO!

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer.