The Evolution of Makeup Throughout the Decades

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Makeup, just like time, has changed. Many different looks appeared throughout the years. Some trends re-emerged, and some were quick to go!

Let’s begin with the first decade of the 1900’s! At this point, makeup was not really being mass produced. Women used home-made products using food to create their beauty looks. Women used rice powder on their faces, and beet juice was used as stains for the lips and cheeks. Next, along with the arrival of music, arts and economic prosperity, women’s makeup started to advance. Women emphasized their eyes using dark kohl eyeliners. Green and turquoise eyeshadows were the go to colors. Eyebrows were very thin and obvious that they were drawn on. Blush was used to bring out the cheeks, and the look of “chunky” mascara was achieved using petroleum jelly. In addition, bright red lipstick was a must have look, and it was placed in a “Cupid’s Bow” shape.

In the 1930’s, foundation was applied thickly. Matching it exactly to your skin tone or using paler shades was the trend. Arched, thin brows were still in. An addition to the makeup trends include popular lip colors such as maroons, browns, deep reds and raspberry colors. During the 1940’s, foundation started to take on darker tones in combination with lighter face powders. This decade was more about bringing out natural beauty. Blushes took on more natural colors like light rose and pinks in a fashion where the cheekbones were enhanced greatly. Women no longer plucked their eyebrows to the point where they almost did not exist. Also, red lips came back.

The 1950’s contained thick and dramatic layers of liner and mascara. Smoky eyes became popular with smoky greys and silver-greys hues. Blush colors were peachy and rosy. Lipliner was very common. Pink or light red lipliners were used to line their lips, and bright red or cherry lipsticks filled in the whole lip. In the 1960’s, makeup become more natural again. Blending your eyeshadow became the way to do it. The whole concept of lid color, crease color and outer corner shadow coordination became popular. Eyeliner was thinner starting in the inner corner and got thicker towards the outer side. Mascara was applied thickly, and women wore nude lips.

The 70’s emphasized skin care and the importance of it. Face creams and tinted moisturizers were more common and thicker layering of foundation was substituted. It was all about the dewy look. Bronzer and blush was used to bring out the dewy, fresh look. Eyeliner and mascara was matched to skin tone, once again, to emphasize the natural look. Bright, white eyeshadow was used to create a brighter look as well. Clear lip gloss was preferred. The 1980’s brought out the importance of concealer to correct imperfections. Bright pink blush and bronzer was common. Shades of blues, pinks, oranges and greens were spread across the eyelids. Lip colors were very bright! Basically, looks were bright! It was about the color.

The 90’s started to move from being inspired by movie stars to what the individual identifies with. Different looks depended on what sub-culture you felt like you belonged to. There were grungy looks and gothic looks. Blush was applied softly. Eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara was very subtle. Bright lips were toned down.

Makeup has evolved greatly throughout the years. However, different themes and trends have reappeared over and over. What makeup throughout the decades do you still utilize in your daily makeup routine? 

HCXO!

Sylvia Leong is a mass media major at Valdosta State University hoping to achieve her goal of securing a job in sports broadcasting. This Georgia peach loves all shades of blue, football season, and charming her way with sarcasm. Follow on Instagram and Twitter: svia96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.