Domestic Violence by the Numbers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. To end our week-long coverage of domestic violence awareness related topics, here are some statistics on domestic violence and how it can affect people from all walks of life*.

• In the United States, approximately 20 people are physically abused by an intimate partner every minute. That’s more than 10 million women and men every year. 

• 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men report being victims of physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime. 

• On an average day, more than 20,000 calls are made to domestic violence hotlines across the United States. 

• Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical attention for their injuries. 

• Nearly 1 in 19 children are eyewitnesses to intimate partner violence each year. 

• 48.8% of men report having experienced psychologically aggressive behavior from an intimate partner. This includes insults, humiliation, threats, and controlling behavior. 

• Approximately 4 million elderly Americans are victim to psychological, physical, or other forms of abuse and neglect each year. 

• 76.1% of physical abuse toward elderly Americans is committed by a family member. 

• Over 84% of Native American and Alaskan Native women experience violence during their lifetimes. 

• Native Americans are 3 times more likely to experience sexual violence than any other ethnic group. 

Although Domestic Violence Awareness month is coming to an end, the conversation on violence in intimate, family, and caretaker relationships should not. Domestic violence not only leaves physical scars, but emotional scars that can last a lifetime and dramatically affect a person’s happiness and quality of life. Let’s continue the conversation and do what we can to end domestic violence and support survivors. HCXO!

You can reach the National Domestic Violence Hotline 24/7/365 at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233), or chat with a trained domestic violence advocate at www.thehotline.org. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call 911. 

*All statistics courtesy of the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV)

Preyah James

Valdosta '18

Preyah is a senior studying briology and journalism at Valdosta State University. Originally from Riverdale, GA, Preyah is president and Campus Correspondant for VSU's chapter of Her Campus. When she's not studying for a genetics test, Preyah loves to cook, read and watch Game of Thrones. Post-graduation, she plans to pursue a career in science writing and journalism, hoping to work for National Geographic.