kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The devil works hard, but pollen works harder.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It’s that time of the year again! Flowers are blooming, the sun is finally coming out, and everyone is ready to pop out the sundresses. But sadly, you’re stuck in bed again with a stuffy nose and watery eyes. That’s right, it’s pollen season.

Pollen season is probably the worst season of the year and if your allergies are anything like mine, you’re currently dying.

Don’t worry, it isn’t the end of the world yet. Grab your nose spray, eyedrops, and pull yourself together sis!

So what exactly makes people have pollen allergies?

Well, the fine powdery substance in trees, plants and other weeds gets into our systems and our bodies instantly mistake it as an intruder. When this happens it is known as an allergic reaction. Most symptoms of pollen allergies include watery eyes, stuffy nose, and sneezing. Almost 50 million people in the United States develop a pollen allergy, so don’t be alarmed when the kid next to you ask if you can lend him some tissue. Luckily, most people only get allergies during pollen season. If this is you, when pollen season is over you can go back to enjoying your non sick life. Pollen season normally lasts from the middle of February to the end of May. Once it’s over the pollen washes away, the bees and wasp are gone, and you can finally breathe again. In the meantime, here are a few tips to help you get through pollen season. 

For a stuffy nose:

Sometimes it helps if you boil a pot of hot water and (attempt) to breathe in the steam. This loosens the mucus and also brings you relief for a few minutes. Vick”s vapor rub is also a good way to get rid of your stuffy nose. The scent may burn a few nose hairs but I promise it can do the trick. 

For watery eyes:

Sorry sis, but you’re just going to have to break down and buy some eye drops. A tip to help put them in is to make sure you have someone do it for you. I miss almost every time I try to put eye drops in by myself.

For a sore throat:

Lemon! *Gucci Mane voice*. Lemons are the best way to soothe a sore throat. Lemon water, lemon in your tea, or lemon cough drops are the way to go. I don’t know what it is about lemons that always helps me out but they never fail. 

I hope you pull through this pollen season. Don’t lose hope, I promise it will get better. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Briana Todd

Valdosta '20

Hey my name is Bri! I am a junior at Valdosta State who loves meeting new people and listening to Chance the Rapper!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.