This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Confusing title? I know. Well, I am here to explain! As females, we should be able to like what we like without being compared to someone else. There should be no scale or standards that define us as individuals.

Personally, pink is not my preferred color. I think painting my nails is tedious work because it can be a frustrating process. Heels are my sworn enemy, and it’s rare you will find me in them. I applaud you if you can rock those five-inch heels, you go girl! However, in my case, let’s be real; the phrase, “Beauty is Pain” is way too accurate sometimes. These are a few things that I do not enjoy, but there are many “girly” things that I do enjoy! Take shopping as an example. I love shopping and getting a good bargain. I love Starbucks. I could spend endless hours watching beauty videos on YouTube. I love experimenting with makeup, and I love clothes. However, I also love watching sports (football and baseball are my favorites). The idea of finding adventure and traveling the world to find different hidden spots also excites me. Most of all, I don’t mind getting down and dirty.

As human beings, we should allow ourselves to be who we want to be without considering what others think. It’s okay to not like what other people like. You don’t have to be doing what everyone else is doing. It’s not about fitting in, it’s about coexisting. I have stumbled here and there when it comes to being myself. I care too much about what other people think. It’s a work in progress, but I’m happy to be trying. I’m not saying that if you like something that someone else does, you are just another pebble in the sand. What I’m trying to say is that as females, it is important to have self-acceptance. Be happy with who you are. Do something because you wanted to do it. It is acceptable to look up to someone or admire them, however when you aim to be just like them, it is time to stop and take a breather. Individuality is so special. Be unique. Be original. Be someone you would want others to look up to. The stereotypes of femininity are overrated anyways. 

Whether you love going on hikes or hitting up the nearest Ulta every other week, it is important to find things you enjoy. Just be you but be kind to others while at it. Most importantly, love yourself because it’ll lead to happiness and a healthier attitude.

HCXO!

Sylvia Leong is a mass media major at Valdosta State University hoping to achieve her goal of securing a job in sports broadcasting. This Georgia peach loves all shades of blue, football season, and charming her way with sarcasm. Follow on Instagram and Twitter: svia96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.