Campus Curl Chronicles: Joycelynn Okezie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Joycelynn Okezie 

Classification: Senior

Major: Marketing

HC: How long have you been natural?  

JOI started transitioning in 9th grade, so about 7 and a half to 8 years!

HCHow would you describe your hair texture?  

JO: Kinky/Coily and soft (4b-4c). 

HC: What is your favorite or most convenient hairstyle?  

JOI love doing Braid and Twist Outs because I feel like my hair texture maintains the style very well and it just overall looks good on me.

HC: Name some of your staple products. Shampoo, conditioner (deep), leave-in, etc.

JOOrganic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea Butter Shampoo, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner!

HC: What is a wash day like for you?  

JOStressful! [Laughs]. Lil Wayne wasn’t lying when he said “Tougher than Nigerian hair.” The tough part for me is de-tangling because my kinky hair shrinks when I wash it, which makes it tough and exhausting when detangling Some people have really intricate processes, but I’m a simple person so my regimen is pretty simple as well. I start off by sectioning my hair into about four big braids, then I will either co-wash or shampoo it depending on how I feel. After that process is done I deep condition my hair, detangle it, which is the most dreadful part, and then let it air dry in large braids.

HC: What are some of the most common problems you face when styling your hair? How do you combat these issues?

JOMy hair is really susceptible to humidity, I can walk out the door looking fly, then 10 minutes later they style is nearly gone or not as good looking as it was before. I wear a lot of protective styles to avoid the humidity issue.

HC: What are two do’s and don’ts when it comes to your hair?  

Do: Always moisturize. My hair gets dry very easily so I always need to keep the moisture sealed in!

Don’t: Let anyone put you down of make you believe that your hair is “more beautiful” straightened.

Do: De-tangle properly! If not, it will start to lock up because of the way my hair is.

Don’t: Become a  product junky, stick with the products you see proper growth and good results with.

HC: Is there anything you want to try on your hair that is out of your comfort zone?  

JOI’ve always wanted to try flexi-rods; I think I would look good with curls!

HC: How does your hair make you feel?  

JOMy hair makes me feel proud, unique and confident.

HC: Any words of advice to ladies with the same hair type as you?

JOLove your hair texture! Its versatile, beautiful, and most importantly it’s YOU! There’s so much you can do with it. Kinky natural hair grows extremely fast if taken proper care of. Also, remember that patience is a virtue and everything that’s supposed to happen will happen in due time.

HCXO!

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.