Campus Celebrity Lauren Thomas ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Those gorgeous pearly whites, happy disposition, and performances at numerous venues across campus and in Valdosta? We’d love to have Lauren Thomas as our Campus Celebrity this week! 

Name: Lauren Ashli Thomas

Classification: Sophomore

Major: Mass Media / PR Minor

Zodiac Sign: Virgo

Her Campus: First things first, why’d you come to VSU?

Lauren Thomas: I came to Valdosta State because I was ready for some change. Living in Atlanta my whole life had me ready and eager to experience living elsewhere. Since I went to a predominantly black high school, I wanted some diversity, and Valdosta State had more than enough diversity for me. I also fell in love with the campus when I came to tour the school. 

HC: You’re a sophomore and you’re known a lot for your dancing. What else are you involved or interested in?

LT: On campus I am currently involved in Media Arts Geniuses as a performer and a writer/reporter for MC [MAG Chronicles], I am a member of NAACP, I am a mentor in the Multicultural Assistance Program, and I am a Cheaux Lovely for the clothing brand Cheaux Love. Besides dance I have interests in modeling, acting, traveling, animals, and kids.

HC: Who is someone at VSU (not a friend or family member) that you look up to?

LT: Someone at Valdosta State who I really look up to is Abriel Blake (AB). I look up to AB because she not only is an amazing performer, but she also is a hard worker, very humble, and maintains a really good GPA. Her work ethic, mindset and aspirations are very admirable, and I think that she consists of qualities that are hard to find in a lot of females in this generation.

HC: What’s your biggest strength and weakness?

LT: I think that my biggest strength is that I am a very positive person. I believe that everything you do begins with a mindset, and without it, it would be almost impossible to achieve any set goal or accomplishment you have for yourself. When it comes to weaknesses, I think that mine would have to be that I can be very shy at times. Although I am a very social person and I enjoy being on stage performing, I sometimes let my shyness hinder me from taking initiative on a lot of things.

HC: What’s your biggest passion?

LT: My biggest passion is definitely performing, specifically dancing. I do it because I love the way I feel when I do it, and I love the emotional effect that I can have on someone just from them watching me dance. Growing up, I was trained and exposed to [numerous] dance genres. The exposure helped me really appreciate dance for what it is: a global way of expressing yourself through music.

Dancing most definitely is a major way that I express myself, and I honestly believe that it’s a big part of who I am. I think it’s almost impossible for me to listen to a song without trying to dance to it or imagine choreography to it. Outside of God, my family, and my friends, I would have to say that my passion holds the next biggest spot in my heart. I was blessed with a talent that a lot of people wish they had, and I love sharing my gift with people

HC: Is there anything that you want to accomplish by the time you leave VSU?

LT: By the time I leave VSU, I hope to have impacted at least one person’s life in some way, shape or form. I believe that this world is led by people who lead, and being able to influence someone to want to be a leader, and be above average would make me feel very accomplished.

HC: If you were an animal, what would you be and why?

LT: If I was an animal, I would be a white tiger. White tigers are very quiet yet very strong animals that demonstrate graceful qualities and aggressive behaviors when it comes to chasing after something they want. They are unique and can be very playful, but when it’s time to be serious, they are respected.

HC: With everything that you do, how do you deal with it?

LT: I make sure that I prioritize, stay eager and humble, and keep God first.

HC: What’s something that people would never guess about you?

LT: Something that people wouldn’t guess about me is that I don’t want dance to be my career. I want to have a career in entertainment television working as a television personality, and I eventually want to work towards the goal of having my own television network. Dance will be my side hustle [laughs].

HC: Favorite quote that you live by?

LT: “Never let small minded people keep you from accomplishing your big dreams.” I don’t know who it’s by, but I saw it on Tumblr and I’ve been preaching it ever since.

HC: What are three things you can’t live without?

LT: I can’t live without my phone, music, and Chick-fil-A lemonade.

This gorgeous beauty is a showstopper here at VSU! She’s so sweet and definitely someone who will leave a presence here at VSU! 

Her Campus at Valdosta State.