This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hey beautiful ladies!

For many people out there, making friends is so easy. For others (like moi), it’s difficult as hell. Not because we don’t want to; it’s because we aren’t really social. It’s not that I don’t want to be social; I’ve just had the worst experiences trying to be social. Maybe my intentions weren’t pure. Maybe I just wasn’t their cup of tea. Maybe my social anxiety got the best of me, and I just ruined it with poor communication. Whatever the problem may be, I just want you to remember something: being alone is okay.

I feel like it’s easier to make friends in grade school because it’s a smaller environment, and we all are probably in the same classes most of the time. College is a different story. Valdosta State has a little over 11,000 students. That’s small enough to start a bond, but big enough to lose that bond. I’m in my second semester here. I’ve realized that even if you push for those tight bonds with others, it’s not a guarantee that the relationship will stick. While I do have friends here, I still feel somewhat alone. While I like being alone sometimes, being alone is not fun all the time. I had a lot of expectations coming into this school, considering my very first semester of college at another USG college was trash. Lemme get to the point.

If you’re someone like me who isn’t very social, that doesn’t mean people don’t like you. It’s okay. It’s okay to be alone. Everybody won’t click with you right away. That doesn’t mean you won’t ever find someone. Don’t rush. Besides, the main focus for college is obtaining a degree, not making friends; that’s just a bonus.

Keep your head upin the books and out of trouble. Your soul ties with friends will come sooner or later.

With love + solitude,

-Marissa Auriell

HCXO!

Dom Pollard

Valdosta '22

Dom is a sophomore, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in African American Studies and Sociology. They plan on doing work in either education, activism, film, or all three. They are a queer individual who speaks their mind and provides love + other elements to bring perspective to HERCampus Valdosta. HCXO!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.