Are You Ready for a Fur Baby?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Once you move off campus, you finally have the opportunity to do things that you couldn’t do in a dorm such as throwing parties, having a full kitchen, and even getting a pet if your apartment is pet-friendly. The thought of getting a canine or feline friend can be really exciting. However, before you make the big decision to get a cat or a dog, it’s important to really think about if you are ready to take on such a big responsibility.

I can’t speak for the cat lovers—as I’m allergic to them and quite frankly am not their biggest fan—but I can speak for the dog lovers. From personal experience, having a dog while you’re in college isn’t as easy as it seems to be. Yes, dogs are really cute and fun to play with and cuddle, but they are a lot of work. So if you’re going to get a dog, it’s important to know beforehand what you’re getting yourself into.

I adopted my first shelter dog in February 2015. I had dogs almost my entire life, but had never had a shelter dog. Believe me—there is a difference. I adopted the dog, which I named Nikko, when he was a young puppy. He was a yorkie terrier mix, although no one could ever tell me what he was mixed with. Beside the point, I had to potty train Nikko, put him on a feeding schedule, take him out and all times of the day (and sometimes night), and I had to leave him home during times that I’d be in class or at work. Whether it was due to separation anxiety or the fact that he didn’t like being confined in a small apartment, Nikko usually acted out by destroying things (like my Macbook charger and my sandals) or by barking/whining very loudly. We all know these college apartments have thin walls—so it didn’t take long for my neighbors to complain about him to my leasing office. When I switched apartment complexes, I thought things would be better since Nikko was a bit older at this time. I was completely wrong and things had only gotten worse! Not to mention I was extremely busy, and dogs crave attention—especially shelter dogs. I decided that it was best for Nikko and myself if he went to live with someone else who could give him more attention (and possibly provide him with a backyard).

As crazy as it may sound, I got another dog just this past February (I know—I must have a thing for getting dogs in February). Although my experience having a dog in college didn’t work out the first time, I was determined to make sure that things wouldn’t have the same turnout. Here are a few tips that I have if you REALLY think that you’re ready for a pet—well, at least a dog, because cats are very independent.

Tip 1: Having a dog is similar to having a baby. When I first got the puppy I have now, I’d have to wake up sometimes two or three times in the middle of the night to take her out to the bathroom because she’d start whining when she had to go. With 9 a.m. classes, it was tough and I was very tired; but just like humans, dogs can only hold their bladders for so long, too.

Tip 2: Make time for your pet. The key to having a good relationship with your dog is by spending time with him or her. I used to stay on campus almost all day to avoid leaving in between classes. Now, I come home to spend time with my dog instead. This gives her a chance to be out of her kennel and gives us the chance to bond.

Tip 3: Be patient. Babies don’t learn to walk overnight; puppies don’t learn everything we want them to overnight either. Like I said before, having a dog is like having a baby. You have to take out the time to house/potty train your puppy, take the time to teach them right from wrong, and you have to try to keep your cool when your dog chews up your favorite pair of shoes (they’re not being mean, they’re just teething!). Be prepared to have a thing or two destroyed and to lose a lot of sleep. Most importantly, take the time for them to adjust to their new surroundings. We tend to forget this a lot, but when we take a dog, we take them away from their mother and their littermates too, which is a big transition for them.

I hope this helps you make a decision!

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.