5 Ways to Get Your Body Ready for Spring Break Over the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Winter time is approaching! We have survived the blaring heat of the Valdosta air, and fell in love with the enjoyable temperatures that followed for the fall. Soon it’ll be back to hot chocolate, beanies, and Uggs! The easy thing to do during the winter time is to lay around and enjoy the spoils of the Holidays. However, this is the best time to get your body right for Spring Break! 

I know it’s early, but think about it: do you really want to be in the gym when herds of people are rushing in right before Spring Break? Didn’t think so! No worries though, I’ve got you covered. Here are a few tips that can help you get into and stay in shape over the winter Holidays.

1. Drink lots of water: Hot chocolate, apple cider, and egg nog are all tasty drinks we love to enjoy during the Holidays. Of course, you won’t be drinking those every day, but you should drink water every day. Everyone has their own opinions about how much water you should drink a day, so I won’t get into that. The important thing is drinking water, period.

Make sure you drink, at the least, one glass every day. The more regularly you drink it, the more you may grow to crave it and actually want to drink it. Water is all encompassing! It helps keep every part of your body healthy, from your hair to your skin. So drink up!  

2. Exercise: Now, there’s definitely no need to hit the gym hard and heavy every day. Making it to the gym twice a week is a step towards having that bikini body for Spring Break! Even if you can’t make it to the gym during the Holidays, you can do exercises in the comfort of your own home.

There are tons of apps out there that provide you with exercises that require no work-out equipment whatsoever, such as Sworkit. Sworkit is a circuit training app that will leave you sweating and sore like a day in the gym does. You may not work out every day, but sometimes is better than no times!

3. Don’t go overboard with Holiday foods and deserts: For some of us, winter is the only time of the year we can get our moms to bake our favorite deserts. And of course, we have to rack up on all that good home cooking over Thanksgiving Break! However, we have to be mindful of how much of all of that good food we eat.

Portion sizes are very important during the Holidays. It’s okay to indulge; the Holidays are all about enjoying good food and being with family. We just have to make sure we don’t overdo it. Eating more than you need to is never a good idea, so keep that in mind when you come face to face with that Red Velvet cake.

4. Keep your skin moisturized: ChapStick and lotion are your friends! Chapped lips have never been cute, but they’ve always been painful. Be sure to keep a tube of some sort of lip moisturizer on hand during this windy and chilly season. Walmart has ChapStick for a dollar if you’re looking for something cheap.

Also, just because most of your body is covered during the winter, doesn’t mean you should neglect your skin underneath. Recovering from dry itchy skin is not fun. Make sure you’re taking care of yours so that you can glow when you hit the beach during Spring Break!

5. Don’t forget about fruit!: And no, I’m not talking about fruitcake! Fruit is such an easy food item to forget in your diet. During the summer I always get my fruits in by drinking delicious smoothies, but for the winter I’m more for fruit juices.

They come in many varieties and can be much easier than peeling or eating a fruit. If you can afford to buy one, a juicer is great for all natural fruit juices! No matter how you get them into your system, make sure your eating your fruits.

With these easy-to-follow tips, you will be ready and super fine for Spring Break! Enjoy the Holidays and stay bundled up!

XOXO HC

My name is Marlaina Williams, but everyone who knows me calls me Marlie! I was born in Queens, NY, but Lithonia, GA is what I call home. Since being at Valdosta State University, I have majored in Mass Media. During my Junior year, I picked up a minor in African American studies and I haven't looked back since.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.