5 Paid Internships You’ll Want This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Since beginning college, you’ve probably heard the age-old proverb: “You’ll only get a job after graduation if you’ve had an internship.” This may be true for some majors, but other majors don’t require an internship. Some students, however, just want to intern for a company in order to get some experience to add to their résumé. And what better option than a paid internship? (Especially since Joseph Lamour’s Upworthy.com exposing of unpaid internships.) Doing what you love while getting paid and still being an undergrad? That sounds like the perfect trifecta. Here are five paid internships to check out this summer.

1. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The AJC offers fall, spring and summer internships to give you 10 weeks of hands-on experience in a newspaper environment. Requirements include being a rising junior, senior or graduate student and having experience with a campus newspaper or website. To apply, all you have to do is submit a short note on why you want to be a journalist and how an internship at the AJC will help you pursue your goal, note the specific internship you’re interested in (reporting, interactive graphics or database work), three links to or pdfs of your best work, your résumé, and two references.

2. Delta Air Lines

Fly over to Delta’s website for interning opportunities which are available to undergrads year-round and available to graduate students during the summer. For consideration, you must be currently enrolled in a four-year college or graduate-level program and be authorized to work in the United States. In addition to being paid, Delta interns are eligible for Delta’s Family & Friends Travel Certificates.

3. Bank of America

For the accounting, economics, finance and business undergrad students, BoA offers 10-12 week analyst internships in areas such as finance management, corporate banking, investment banking, global sales and trading, and global risk management. Intern recruiting is between September and December for some programs and January and March. One requirement to intern at BoA is having a 3.0 GPA or higher. There are also internships available to graduate students.

4. Metropolitan Museum of Art

Being an intern at the Met means being immersed art while being in the city that never sleeps. What’s better than that? The Met offers summer internships for college and graduate students interested in careers in art museums. The Met has different internship departments including curatorial, education, conservation, administration, or library. Most projects require a strong knowledge of art history, so make sure you know your stuff!

5. Belk Stores, Inc.

How cool would it be to intern for a company where you actually shop? Belk offers several internships in store management, buying (for those collegiettes who keep up with current fashion trends) and product development. Occasionally, there are internships available in fields such as finance, advertising, communications and human resources. To apply to intern for the department store giant, you must be a rising junior or senior at an accredited college or university, have a strong interest in a retail career, be an academically talented leader, have excellent work ethic and people skills (yay for being a people person!) and have a 3.3 GPA or higher. Send Belk a copy of your résumé and a letter of interest, and they’ll contact you if you’re a match. The deadlines are as follows:

• Spring internships: November 1
  • Summer internships: March 1
  • Fall internships: August 1

None of these internships interest you? Heres a list of 12 companies and organizations that offer paid internships:

1. American Dance Festival
  2. The Central Intelligence Agency
  3. Coca Cola
  4. Disney
  5. Dow Jones Newspaper Fund
  6. Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
  7. Finish Line
  8. Miller Brewing Company
  9. Sherwin Williams
  10. Six Flags Over Georgia
  11. The U.S. Department of Education
  12. Walgreens
Her Campus at Valdosta State.