Love is like a box of chocolates, or whatever Tom Hanks said. Valentine’s day is coming up and what’s a better way to express your love than baking to your heart’s extent. You can make these easy, delicious, and chocolatey treats for your partner, friends, family, or yourself.
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
Mmmm… a classic. Moist and airy cupcakes are so much more fun than regular cakes. Red velvet is such a classic and a bar higher than your basic chocolate cupcakes. Plus there’s cream cheese frosting! Need I say more.
Ingredients for cupcakes:
▢1 2/3 cup flour
▢2 tsp cocoa powder
▢1 cups sugar
▢1/4 tsp baking soda
▢1 tsp baking powder
▢1/4 tsp salt
▢3/4 cup softened unsalted butter
▢3 eggs room temperature
▢2 tsp vanilla extract
▢3/4 cup milk
▢red food coloring
Ingredients for frosting:
▢ 1 package of cream cheese
▢ 1/2 cup of softened butter
▢1/2 tsp of sour cream
▢1 tsp of vanilla extract
▢16 ounces of confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix dry ingredients and set aside.
3. Mix butter and sugar until a creamy consistency. Add in an egg one at a time and beat. Mix in your other wet ingredients and food coloring.
4. Gradually add your dry ingredients and continue mixing. Do not over mix your batter.
5. Pour batter into muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes. Do the toothpick trick, poke a cupcake, and if it comes on clean it is done.
6. For the frosting, mix sour cream, softened butter, vanilla extract, cream cheese into a mixture. Gradually add confectioners sugar into the mixture until smooth.
- Chocolate Mousse
Who says that mousse has to be difficult? This fancy treat only needs three ingredients and does not take too long to make. All you need is dark chocolate, marshmallows, and milk. It’s basically a magic trick.
▢ 5 oz marshmallows
▢1 ½ cups of milk
▢1 cup dark chocolate
1. In a medium pot, add marshmallows and milk. Cook on medium heat and stir until fully melted.
2. In a heat-safe bowl add the marshmallow mixture onto the chocolate and slowly stir until everything is combined and smooth.
3. Add mixture into 4 glasses and put into the fridge for at least an hour.
4. Take out and enjoy.
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberries
A burst of love is every bit. Chocolate covered strawberries are so simple. All you need are two ingredients: melted chocolate and blueberries. Kidding, it’s strawberries. The great thing about this dessert is that everything is up to you. You can add coconut flakes, peanuts, heart-shaped candies. You name it.
▢4 ounces of baking chocolate
▢ 12 strawberries
1. Thoroughly wash your strawberries and be sure to dry them properly. With the strawberries correctly dried, it will be easier for the chocolate to stick.
2. Pour chocolate (milk, white, dark) into a microwavable bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. After every 30 seconds stir until perfectly smooth
3. Grab strawberries by the stem and dip them into the chocolate. Let the excess chocolate drip back into the bowl.
4. (OPTIONAL) Sprinkle coconut, peanuts, or candies onto the freshly covered strawberries
5. Let the strawberries chill in the fridge for 15 minutes
Whether you are spending Valentine’s Day with friends or by yourself these treats will be sure to put you in a loving mood.